Jubilee Bridge

Catherine Hamilton-Veal  ©

Dawlish, United Kingdom

  • Available
  • Artist
  • Artwork Comments 60

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor



Artist's Description

This is Jubilee Bridge in my home town of Dawlish Devon. UK.
It is one of the eleven bridges that span Dawlish Water (more commonly called TheBrook.)
I took it today after a lovely walk on the beach,
on such a beautiful day.

Dawlish is located at the outlet of a small river, Dawlish Water (also called The Brook), between Permian red sandstone cliffs, and is fronted by a sandy beach with the South Devon Railway sea wall and the Riviera Line railway above. Behind this is a central public park, The Lawn, through which Dawlish Water flows.
Immediately to the south-west of Dawlish is a headland, Lea Mount, with Boat Cove at its foot and Coryton Cove, the furthest part of the beach accessible by the seawall path, behind it. To the north-east, via the beach or seawall, the coast can be followed some 2 km to Langstone Rock and the resort of Dawlish Warren beyond.
Dawlish is also known for its black swans (Cygnus atratus), introduced from Western Australia, which live with other exotic waterfowl in a small urban sanctuary on Dawlish Water.
The people who first settled in Dawlish lived on the higher grounds. These were fishermen and salt makers who would venture down to the coast to net fish and gather salt. Salt was abundant in rock pools at the time but resources would have been limited. So eventually salterns were constructed to dry out brine and produce salt. The high-quality salt produced was stored in sheds or saltcellars. Dawlish produced less salt than its neighbour Teignmouth, most likely due to inhabitants being wary of Dawlish water and its unpredictability when it came to flooding.
The town of Dawlish took its name from a local stream with a Brythonic name, once spelt “Deawlisc”, meaning “Devil Water” (the name came from heavy rains churning up the red cliffs, making the brook run red). An alternative meaning proposed is “black stream”, cognate with Welsh du (g)lais. Several other spellings and meanings are found later in the Domesday Book and in documents from Exeter Cathedral.
Salt making would have started before Roman times (55 BC) and continued until the withdrawal of the Romans in AD 400. In the Anglo-Saxon period (AD 400–1000) salt making in Dawlish ceased, however Teignmouth continued its production. During the Anglo-Saxon period the number of inhabitants grew and some communities settled in the upper part of the valley where floods were less common and the land was fertile. Evidence of early farming settlements is found at Aller Farm, Smallacombe, Lidwell and Higher and Lower Southwood.
When the Romans invaded Britain, the Celtic population of Devon was not displaced and continued to occupy the land throughout the Roman period that lasted until the Anglo-Saxons arrived. The Anglo-Saxons conquered Devon and it was annexed by the kingdom of Wessex in the 8th century.[citation needed] Since then the local culture has been predominantly English.
The Danish invasion of AD 800 left Dawlish untouched, possibly due to the shallow sea waters and marshland. Bishopsteignton was destroyed by the Danes in AD 1001[citation needed] along with settlements at the mouth of the River Teign.
Until its sale in the 19th century, the site of Dawlish belonged to Exeter Cathedral, having been given to the chapter by Leofric, Bishop of Exeter in 1050.[citation needed]
Dawlish was once the haunt of such literary giants as Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. Charles Dickens used the town as the birthplace of Nicholas Nickleby. The town itself, particularly around the seafront, is like many of the resort towns in South Devon, a classic of Regency and early Victorian style. Also worth noting are Manor House and Brook House (both about 1800) and some of the cottages in Old Town Street surviving from the old Dawlish village. Dawlish’s transformation from an insignificant fishing settlement to a watering hole for Victorian celebrities can be discovered at the Dawlish Museum.
Dawlish grew with the coming of the railway. In 1830, Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed a railway for the town, which operated on a pneumatic principle using a 15-inch iron tube. The atmospheric railway opened on 30 May 1846 and ran between Exeter St. Davids and Newton Abbot. There were pumping stations at Exeter St. Davids, Countess Weir, The Turf, Starcross (where the old pump house can still be seen), Dawlish, Teignmouth, Bishopsteignton and Newton Abbot. The first passenger train ran in September 1847. The project was besieged with problems mainly with the leather sealing valve, which after 12 months use needed replacing at a cost of £25,000. South Devon Railway directors abandoned the project in favour of conventional trains, the last atmospheric train running in September 1848.
It is often noted as one of the most memorable stretches of track in Britain for its natural beauty, although this comes at a very high cost to Network Rail as it is one of the most expensive lines in the UK to maintain due to the continual battle with sea erosion. One particular storm in 1974 washed away much of the down platform in the station.
During the early and middle part of the Twentieth Century, Dawlish became famous as the home for Devon Violets perfume, and hundreds of varieties were grown in market gardens surrounding the town. Violet escapees can still be found growing wild all across the area.
Ref:- Wikipedia.
Thank you for viewing.
Edited in CS3 with an added texture by
Thank you Anna.
Finished off in Picasa3.
Camera used Pentax K200D.

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.