Balboa Park Botannical Building, San Diego

CarolM

San Bernardino, United States

  • Available
    Products
    3
  • Artist
    Notes

Wall Art

Stationery

Artist's Description

Canon D40. Balboa Park Botannicsl Building, San Diego,California,
Edited in PSE and Topaz.

Spain and later Mexico made a practice of setting aside large tracts of land for the common use of citizens. In 1835, the Alta California authorities set aside a 47,000-acre tract of pueblo land in San Diego to be used for the public’s recreational purposes.This land included the site of present-day Balboa Park, making it one of the oldest places in the United States dedicated to public recreational usage. The park was named for the Spanish maritime explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa, the first European to cross Central America and see the Pacific Ocean. The park hosted the 1915 Panama–California Exposition and 1935 California Pacific International Exposition, both of which left architectural landmarks. The park and its historic Exposition buildings were declared a National Historic Landmark and National Historic Landmark District in 1977, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1909, San Diego Chamber of Commerce president G. Aubrey Davidson suggested that the park hold an expo to coincide with the 1915 opening of the Panama Canal. Davidson believed an expo would help improve commerce (it would advertise that San Diego was the first U.S. port of call vessels encountered after passing through the canal and sailing north. San Diego would be known on the wold map. At the time, San Diego was the smallest city to ever hold a World’s Fair, its population at the time was less than 40,000. The Panama–California Exposition created much of the park’s present-day look-and-feel. The Botannical Building is one of the original buildings constructed for the expo.

On December 31, 1914, the Panama-California Exposition opened, with Balboa Park “crammed full” of spectators. President Woodrow Wilson pushed a telegraph button in Washington, D.C., to symbolically open the ceremonies by turning on the power at the park. All of the employees, workers, security people, and management staff were dressed in period Spanish and Mexican military uniforms, and much of the park was filled with plantings of exotic plants. The Pennsylvania’s Liberty Bell made a brief three-day appearance in November 1915.The event was such a success the fair was extended through 1916. Over the two years, it drew more than 3.7 million visitors, including Henry Ford, William Jennings Bryan, Thomas Edison, Theodore Roosevelt, and William Howard Taft. (Info from Wikipedia)

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.