Fall Impressions from Waterford, VA
Waterford was founded about 1733 by Amos Janney, a Quaker from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Other Quakers followed him there. Mills were built along Catoctin Creek. The village grew until it was the second largest town in Loudoun County (this was before the Civil War). Many buildings still in use in the village were built before 1840.
Known as Janney’s Mill until the 1780s, the early commercial center then became the village of Waterford. This is one of the restored houses which now serves as a B&B.