This painting of Chimayo, New Mexico in spring is a 16 X 20 Oil painting by Oregon artist Barbara Anne Applegate.
El Santuario de Chimayo, a National Historic Landmark, is located east of Espanola in the town of Chimayo, New Mexico, on NM 76. Constructed from 1813 to 1816 as a private chapel, this small adobe church is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of Spanish Colonial architecture in New Mexico. Known as “the Loudres of New Mexico” because of the healing power of the mud found there. El Santuario was a privately owned chapel until the year l929, at that time several
people from Santa Fe bought it and turned it over to the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
This has been Featured in the Following Groups:
Retired and Happy
Has had aTop Ten Challenge Win in:
Christian Churches, Statues and Crosses