Elvandar 5

John Velocci

Joined October 2012

  • Available
    Products
    57
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 41

Apparel

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

under the wooden staircase the AGO in Toronto, Canada

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
16mm/ƒ/7.1/1/60s/ISO 800
110 views
dedicated to the AGO


Featured in groups:
The Fine Art of Photography
This, That, and the Other Thing
Creation – Photoshop, Poser, Daz
The World As We See It , Or As We Missed It.
FEATURED MEN PHOTOGRAPHERS
LOW LIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY
Old Farts of RB
Canadiana
Stairs Steps Staircases
Surfaces & Textures
Art and Photography Showcase
Fine Wall Art Photography by Canon
Photography Masterpiece

1st place finish in AMAZING CHALLENGE ENTERTAINMENT group challenge May 25 2018

the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) (French: Musée des beaux-arts de l’Ontario) is an art museum in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Its collection includes more than 80,000 works spanning the first century to the present day. The gallery has 45,000 square metres (480,000 sq ft) of physical space, making it one of the largest galleries in North America. Significant collections include the largest collection of Canadian art, an expansive body of works from the Renaissance and the Baroque eras, European art, African and Oceanic art, and a modern and contemporary collection. The photography collection is a large part of the collection, as well as an extensive drawing and prints collection. The museum contains many significant sculptures, such as in the Henry Moore sculpture centre, and represents other forms of art like historic objects, miniatures, frames, books and medieval illuminations, film and video art, graphic art, installations, architecture, and ship models. During the AGO’s history, it has hosted and organized some of the world’s most renowned and significant exhibitions, and continues to do so, to this day.

Since 1974, the gallery has seen four major expansions and renovations, typically considered a high number and unseen by most galleries of the world, and continues to add spaces. The most recent are the Weston Family Learning Centre, which opened in October 2011, and the David Milne Research Centre, which opened in April 2012. Both projects were designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects. Earlier major renovations were designed by noted architects John C. Parkin (1977), Barton Myers and KPMB Architects (1993), and most recently, Frank Gehry (2008).56

In addition to display galleries, the structure houses an extensive library, student spaces, gallery workshop space, artist-in-residence, a high-end restaurant, café, espresso bar, research centre, theatre and lecture hall, Gehry-designed gift shop, and an event space called the Baillie Court, which occupies the entirety of the third floor. The gallery is located in the Downtown Grange Park district, on Dundas Street West between McCaul and Beverley Streets.

The Art Gallery of Ontario is the second most visited art museum in Toronto after the Royal Ontario Museum in 2014.

The museum was founded in 1900 by a group of private citizens, members of the Ontario Society of Artists,7 who incorporated the institution as the Art Museum of Toronto. The Legislative Assembly of Ontario subsequently enacted An Act respecting the Art Museum of Toronto in 1903. The museum was renamed the Art Gallery of Toronto in 1919, and subsequently the Art Gallery of Ontario in 1966.

The current location of the AGO dates to 1910, when Goldwin Smith bequeathed his historic 1817 Georgian manor, the Grange, to the gallery upon his death. In 1911, the museum leased lands to the south of the manor to the City of Toronto in perpetuity so as to create Grange Park. In 1920, the museum also allowed the Ontario College of Art to construct a building on the grounds.

The museum’s first formal exhibitions opened in the Grange in 1913. In 1916, the museum drafted plans to construct a small portion of a new gallery building. Designed by Pearson and Darling in the Beaux-Arts style, excavation of the new facility began in 1916, and the first galleries opened in 1918. Expansion throughout the 20th century added various galleries, culminating in 1993, which left the AGO with 38,400 square metres (413,000 sq ft) of interior space.

The AGO was and continues to be a major supporter of local arts, which have included shows for the Group of Seven, Betty Goodwin, David Milne, and Shary Boyle.

As the institution and its collections grew, major benefactors included Henry Moore, Betty Goodwin, David Blackwood, Harris Henry Fudger, Walter C. Laidlaw, Joey Tanenbaum, George Weston, Frank Porter Wood, Edward Rogers Wood, Ayala Zacks, Ken Thomson, the Massey family, and the Eaton family

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.