Stairs of Wonder 4

John Velocci

Joined October 2012

  • Available
    Products
    57
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 17

Apparel

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

looking down the Stairs of Wonder at the Royal Ontario Museum in downtown Toronto, Canada
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
16mm/ƒ/5.6/1/20s/ISO 1600
dedicated to the ROM
111 views


Featured in groups:
Preserving History
Historic Sites
DELIGHTFUL DUVETS
The Fine Art of Photography
YOUR PICTURES EXPOSED
A World of EOS
Art in Math
FEATURED MEN PHOTOGRAPHERS

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM, French: Musée royal de l’Ontario) is a museum of art, world culture and natural history in Toronto, Canada. It is one of the largest museums in North America, the largest in Canada, and attracts more than one million visitors every year, the second most for a Canadian art museum after the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.2 The museum is north of Queen’s Park, in the University of Toronto district, with its main entrance on Bloor Street West. The Museum subway station of the Toronto Transit Commission is named after the ROM, and since 2008, it is decorated to resemble the institution’s collection. St. George station is close to the museum’s new entrance as well.
Established on 16 April 1912 and opened on 19 March 1914, the museum has maintained close relations with the University of Toronto throughout its history, often sharing expertise and resources.3 The museum was under the direct control and management of the University of Toronto until 1968, when it became an independent Crown agency of the government of Ontario.45 Today, the museum is Canada’s largest field-research institution, with research and conservation activities that span the globe.6
With more than six million items and forty galleries, the museum’s diverse collections of world culture and natural history contribute to its international reputation.6 The museum contains notable collections of dinosaurs, minerals and meteorites, Near Eastern and African art, Art of East Asia, European history, and Canadian history. It houses the world’s largest collection of fossils from the Burgess Shale with more than 150,000 specimens.7 The museum also contains an extensive collection of design and fine arts, including clothing, interior, and product design, especially Art Deco.

The Royal Ontario Museum was formally established on 16 April 1912,89 and was jointly governed by the Government of Ontario and the University of Toronto.10 Its first assets were transferred from the University and the provincial Department of Education,8 coming from its predecessor the Museum of Natural History and Fine Arts at the Toronto Normal School.11 On 19 March 1914, at 3:00 pm, the Duke of Connaught, also the Governor General of Canada, officially opened the Royal Ontario Museum to the public.9 The museum’s location at the edge of Toronto’s built-up area, far from the city’s central business district, was selected mainly for its proximity to the University of Toronto. The original building was constructed on the western edge of the property along the university’s Philosopher’s Walk, with its main entrance facing out onto Bloor Street housing five separate museums of the following fields: Archaeology, Palaeontology, Mineralogy, Zoology, and Geology. This was the first phase of a two-part construction plan that intended on expanding the museum towards Queen’s Park Crescent, ultimately creating an H-shaped structure.
The first expansion to the Royal Ontario Museum publicly opened on 12 October 1933.12 The renovation saw the construction of the south wing fronting onto Queen’s Park, and required the demolition of Argyle House, a Victorian mansion once located at 100 Queen’s Park. As this occurred during the Great Depression, an effort was made to use primarily local building materials and to make use of workers capable of manually excavating the building’s foundations.12 Teams of workers alternated weeks of service due to the physically draining nature of the job.
In 1947, the ROM was dissolved as a body corporate, with all assets transferred to the University of Toronto.13 This would continue until 1968, when the Museum and the McLaughlin Planetarium were separated from the University to form a new corporation.14
On 26 October 1968, the ROM opened the McLaughlin Planetarium on the south end of the property after receiving a $2 million donation from Colonel R. Samuel McLaughlin.15 By the 1980s, however, the planetarium’s audiences were dwindling, and the facility was forced to shut down in November 1995, due to budget cuts.15 The space temporarily reopened from 1998 to 2002, after being leased to Children’s Own Museum. In 2009, the ROM sold the building to the University of Toronto for $22 million, and ensured that it would continue to be used for institutional and academic purposes.1617
The second major addition to the museum was the Queen Elizabeth II Terrace Galleries on the north side of the building and a curatorial centre built on the south, which started in 1978 and was completed in 1984. The new construction meant that a former outdoor “Chinese Garden” to the north of the building facing Bloor, along with an adjoining indoor restaurant, had to be dismantled. Opened in 1984 by Queen Elizabeth II, a $55 million expansion took the form of layered volumes, each rising layer stepping back from Bloor Street — hence creating a layered terrace effect. The design of this expansion won a Governor General’s Award in Architecture.18
In 1989, activists complained about its Into the Heart of Africa exhibit, which featured stereotypes of Africans, forcing the curator, Jeanne Cannizzo, to resign.19
Beginning in 2002, the museum underwent a major renovation and expansion project dubbed as Renaissance ROM. The Provincial and Federal governments, both supporters of this venture, contributed $60 million towards the project.20 The campaign aimed not only to raise annual visitor attendance from 750,000 to between 1.3 and 1.6 million, but also to generate additional funding opportunities to support the museum’s research, conservation, galleries, and educational public programs.21 The centrepiece of the project, the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, was a major addition to the building’s original framework. The structure was created by architect Daniel Libeskind, whose design was selected from among 50 finalists in an international competition.22 The design saw the Terrace Galleries torn down (the curatorial centre to the south remains) and replaced with a Deconstructivist crystalline-form structure, named after Michael Lee-Chin who pledged $30 million towards its construction. Existing galleries and buildings were also upgraded, along with the installation of multiple new exhibits over a period of months. The first phase of the Renaissance ROM project, the Ten Renovated Galleries in the Historic Buildings, opened to the public on 26 December 2005. The architectural opening for the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, however, took place years later on 2 June 2007.21
The final cost of the project was approximately C$270 million.

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.