St. Michael's Cathedral

John Velocci

Joined October 2012

  • Available
    Products
    57
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 22

Apparel

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

under the bueautifully renovated ceiling of St. Michael’s Cathedral in Toronto, Canada
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
16mm/ƒ/16/4s/ISO 100
dedicated to church architecture
104 views


Featured in groups:
Preserving History
Your Country’s Best
A Place to Start—The Place to Be
Historic Sites
AMERICAS~RURAL, URBAN, WILD AND FREE
Religious Architecture
Canon L Lenses
Self Taught Photographers
Shadows & Reflections-Silhouettes Photography2

St. Michael’s Cathedral Basilica is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto, Canada, and one of the oldest churches in the city. It is located at 200 Church Street in Toronto’s Garden District. St. Michael’s was designed by William Thomas, designer of eight other churches in the city, and was primarily financed by Irish immigrants who resided in the area. The Cathedral has a capacity of 1600.2
On September 29, 2016, the feast day of Saint Michael the Archangel, the Cathedral was elevated to a Basilica

The cathedral is home to Canada’s largest English-speaking Catholic diocese. The current archbishop is Cardinal Thomas Christopher Collins, appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on 16 December 2006.

On April 7, 1845, construction began on St. Michael’s Cathedral (Toronto) and the Bishop’s Palace, a three story rectory adjacent to the Neo-Gothic Cathedral. Both buildings were designed by William Thomas. Townspeople dug out the foundation by hand in return for a barbecue. Shipwrights made the interior columns out of maple and oak. On May 8, 1845, Bishop Power laid the cornerstone for the Cathedral in the four-year-old diocese.4 Some fragments of a stone pillar from the old Norman-style York Minster Cathedral in England and some small pieces of the oak roof of that same cathedral were sealed within St. Michael’s cornerstone. St. Michael’s is a 19th-century interpretation of the Minster’s 14th century English Gothic style. The connection with York Minster is appropriate as Toronto was known as the town of York from its settlement in 1793 until it was incorporated in 1834 and the name was changed back.
Bishop Power died on October 1, 1847, having contracted typhus while tending to his flock. His funeral was held at St. Paul’s, and he was buried in the crypt of the unfinished St. Michael’s Cathedral.5 Also buried in the crypt is a man who fell from the roof during construction.6
The Cathedral was dedicated on August 29, 1848 to St. Michael the Archangel. On September 29, 1848 the Cathedral was consecrated after substantial work by the Honourable John Elmsley and his friend Samuel G. Lynn to reduce the debt.7 The seventy nine meter bell tower, which contains two bells, was consecrated in 1866.4
The cathedral played an instrumental role in the founding of nearby St. Michael’s Hospital when the Sisters of Saint Joseph, who came to Toronto at the request of Bishop Charbonnel to operate an orphanage and settlement house, responded to the need for care during a diphtheria epidemic in 1892.

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.