The Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse
…as seen through the children’s playground.
Focal Length 58.0mm
~The Old Harbour Lighthouse tower is constructed of wrought iron on a ferro-concrete base. The breakwater light was extinguished in 1974. Due to years of neglect the wrought iron plates, railing and footing had deteriorated so much that the lighthouse was considered for demolition in the 1970s. Complete restoration occurred in March 2002.
The new Wollongong Head Lighthouse was constructed on Flagstaff Point to the south of the Breakwater in 1937 and took over as the major light in the area.~