Week 3 from me... 2 October - 9 October 2007

Yesterday we drove up the coast to a small settlement called Aramoana. Sadly it is a place that has become well known for a terrible tradegy some 13 years ago when a lone gunman and former resident David Gray held a 23 hour seige which resulted in 13 people being killed by him. A film about this was recently made by Robert Sarkies, it is called Out of the Blue.

Aramoana is a sleepy little place full of holiday baches (holiday homes, some very basic) and not much else except a stunning coastline and sea. There is The Mole, which is an artificial breakwater built to stop silt and sand blocking the entrance to Otago Harbour. There are 5 ships which were scuttled along the length of the Mole ranging in depth from 6 – 22 metres. They are suitable diving wrecks.
We saw some amazing waves yesterday afternoon at full tide. They caught the sun and looked metallic as they rolled in. Herring gulls and Oyster Catchers were patrolling the beach and sadly we saw a dead seal. Small conical shells were visible…some having interesting helixes… eaten away to reveal their inner spirals.

Back in the garden more bluebells start to emerge with the pretty Funeral Geranium coming into flower which the bees love.

The nation seems to be reeling from the post-mortems of why the All Blacks lost to France in the rugby World Cup. Not being much of a sport’s fan I avoid most of this.

I had my first sale on Redbubble yesterday YAY! I sold a card of my painting Bad Hair Day…was thrilled that someone wanted to buy one.

Hopefully over the next week I will get down to some more painting. I have an unfinished painting of a New Zealand native owl called a Morepork which I really need to complete and have a few ideas in my head for future works.

The other weekend we altered the clocks for Daylight Saving…put them forward one hour, so it is darker in the mornings now but stays later in the evening.

Ducks are very prevalent around the place. There is a group of 3 ducklings that had their mother killed by a dog several nights ago. I called them The Motherless. They venture out now and then…as soon as I see them I dive back indoors to get them food, but they have often disappeared when I return. This morning a mother duck (Mallard) was sleeping on the front lawn in the sun with her 11 ducklings scattered around in fluffy huddles. It was entertaining watching them…now and then they would lower their heads and run, almost charge at speed to catch flies…in between taken dips in the submerged baby’s bath under the cherry tree.
I think a fat blackbird comes down at the same time each day to splash around in the bird bath…must have a very rigid timetable.
Hope your week is a good one. ~ Anni

Journal Comments

  • Deborah  Bowness
  • Anni Morris
  • missmilly
  • Deborah  Bowness
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait