|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
The pilgrimages to the Hohenpeißenberg began about 1514 with the transfer of a late Gothic Marie image from Schongau. Pienzenau George, the Duke’s keeper of Schongau donated a statue of the Virgin, which was soon venerated by the people as miraculous image. The chapel became too small, and from 1616 to 1619, a second larger sanctuary was built. The chapel is located west of the church tower, the sanctuary itself east. The Wessobrunner Schmuzer Joseph and his son Franz Xaver Schmuzer took over the interior design and the stucco and native Matthew Guenther took over the fresco painting, Franz Xaver Schmädl was responsible for the sculptures. From 2006 to 2012, the sanctuary was completely renovated to the appearance of 1747. The original color version of the grace Madonna from the 15th Century was uncovered. On Sunday, 21 October 2012 the chapel was reopened. At this festival service the new five bells of the church were rung for the first time.