George Square is Glasgow’s central public square, which stands in front of the landmark City Chambers. The square was laid out in 1782, with houses appearing between 1874 and 1820. Many of these later became hotels, especially after the opening of Queen Street Station. Only one of the original houses remains – the Millennium Hotel beside the station. The square is now a magnificent public space dominated by the aforesaid City Chambers, the ex-Post Office, ex-Bank of Scotland and the Merchant’s House.
During the 19th century, statues to the greatness of Glaswegian, Scottish and British culture were erected. They included poets, adventurers, soldiers, scientists and politicians (local and national), as well as the Queen and Prince Consort. They are all realistic portraits in the 19th century style.
The Scott Monument – 1837 Column by David Rhind and statue of Sir Walter Scott by John Greenshields carved by Handyside Ritchie.
The Cenotaph – 1921 -24 by Sir J J Burnet Lions and figure of St Mungo by Ernest Gillick, a memorial to the city’s fallen in the Great War and other conflicts.
Thomas Graham, Chemist – 1872 by William Brodie cast by R Masefield and Son of Chelsea
Thomas Campbell man of letters – 1877 by John Mossman
Lord Clyde, Indian Army commander – 1868 by J H Foley
Sir John Moore, Peninsular War commander – 1819 by John Flaxman
Robert Burns, Poet – 1877 by George Edwin Ewing, reliefs by J A Ewing cast by Cox and Son.
James Watt, engineer and inventor – 1832 by Chantrey
Queen Victoria equestrian – 1854 by Baron Marochetti.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, equestrian – 1866 by Baron Marochetti.
Robert Peel, Prime Minister – 1859 by John Mossman
William Ewart Gladstone, Prime Minister – 1902 by Hamo Thornycroft.
James Oswald, Member of Parliament – 1856 by Baron Marochetti.