Templeton Carpet Factory Windows ~ Glasgow Green

©The Creative  Minds

Weilheim-Schongau, Germany

  • Available
    Products
    45
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 40

Apparel

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

3074 views ~ A functional carpet mill stood behind the spectacular facade of the Templeton carpet factory. James Templeton from Paisley patented a chenille Axminster process by which he could manufacture more densely patterned and richly coloured carpets. He went on to become one of the most successful carpet manufacturers in Britain, producing carpets for state occasions, great houses, luxury liners including the ‘Titanic’, as well as domestic use.

The City turned down two designs for a major extension to his factory for this sensitive site on Glasgow Green before Templeton commissioned a leading Scottish architect, William Leiper (1839-1916), to tackle the project. His design is directly inspired by the late medieval Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace) in Venice but Leiper would also have been aware of the colourful phantasmagoria of designs being used for the pavilions in Glasgow’s 1888 International Exhibition showground in the west end. The flamboyant glazed brick, vitreous enamel tiles, red brick and terracotta of the facade evokes the rich Oriental-influenced patterns of the carpets the factory produced.

1889 saw the completion of the Templeton Carpet Factory. The building was extended in the 1930s and in 1984 became the Templeton Business Centre. After repeated design proposals had been rejected by the city council, James Templeton & Co. employed the architect William Leiper, who designed a facade inspired by the Doge’s Palace in Venice. On 1 November 1889, the factory facade collapsed due to insecure fixings and 29 women were killed in adjacent weaving sheds. The story is carved in a section of stone beneath the base of Templeton Gate, installed during refurbishment work to the area in 2005. A fire in the factory in 1900 resulted in more deaths. The building was extended in the 1930s and in 1984 became the Templeton Business Centre. In 2005, the 1930s extension was demolished to make way for 143 new flats, part of a £22 million regeneration project which saw the owners, Scottish Enterprise, sell the Templeton Carpet Factory for £6.7 million.

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.