Conanicut Island is the second largest island in Narragansett Bay, in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. It is connected on the east to Newport, Rhode Island, on Aquidneck Island by the Claiborne Pell Bridge, commonly known as the Newport Bridge, and on the west to North Kingstown, Rhode Island, on the mainland by the Jamestown-Verrazano Bridge. The island comprises the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island, Newport County, Rhode Island.
The largest Native cemetery in New England is located on the island; and artifacts spanning a three-thousand year period have been recovered from a site near the elementary school. The island is named for the Chief Canonicus of the Narragansett tribe, who once inhabited the land and maintained his royal residence on the island
This photo was taken by the Beavertail Lighthouse, which was built in 1749, was and still is the premier lighthouse in Rhode Island, USA, especially for entrance into Narragansett Bay. The 45-foot (14 m) lighthouse lies on the southernmost point of Conanicut Island in the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island in Beavertail State Park