The White House occupying some 18 acres at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC 20500
George Washington, the first President of the United States, selected the site and construction began in 1792. John Adams, the second president of the United States was the first to occupy the building.
During the war of 1812, the British Army set fire to the place, completely destroying the interior and badly damaging the exterior. It has been suggested that following the reconstruction of the building, it was painted white to hide the scorch marks of the fire.
To completely paint the exterior of The White House, as it stands today, would require some 570 gallons of paint.