PHOTO FEATURED BY “THE WORLD AS WE SEE IT OR AS WE MISSED IT” GROUP
Image # RF1-0719
Photographer: Jeremy Lavender Photography – Nassau, The Bahamas
Fort Fincastle, Nassau Bahamas, overlooking the town from Bennet’s Hill was built by Lord Dunmore, about 1793 who named it after his second title, Viscount Fincastle.
In a letter to the Secretary of State of February 17, 1794, he describes it as “a battery upon a hill in this island to the Eastwards of the Government House mounting two 24 pounders, two 32 pounder Carronades, two 12 pounders, and one Howitzer, which not only covers the Battery in Hog Island (Paradise Island) but all the Town and Road to the Eastward where the enemy might probably have effected a landing.”