PHOTO FEATURED BY “ARTISTS UNIVERSE” AND BY “A PLACE TO CALL HOME” GROUPS
NIKON D5100 & 18×55 NIKKOR ZOOM
1 shot handheld. Tonemapped with Photomatix, then final adjustments using Nikon NX2 Software.
Image # RF1-0263
Photographer: Jeremy Lavender Photography – Nassau, The Bahamas
Fort Fincastle, Nassau Bahamas, overlooking the town from Bennet’s Hill was built by Lord Dunmore, about 1793 who named it after his second title, Viscount Fincastle.
In a letter to the Secretary of State of February 17, 1794, he describes it as “a battery upon a hill in this island to the Eastwards of the Government House mounting two 24 pounders, two 32 pounder Carronades, two 12 pounders, and one Howitzer, which not only covers the Battery in Hog Island (Paradise Island) but all the Town and Road to the Eastward where the enemy might probably have effected a landing.”
The Water Tower behind tiny Fort Fincastle was erected in 1928 to maintain water pressure on the island. It is 126ft (38.5m) tall and provides a marvellous panoramic view of Nassau.