The heart knows what it wants, but sometimes the right words get stuck in your throat. You’re going for Shakespeare, and come up with “um, you mean a lot, for sure.” Hey, don’t let stone-cold panic grip your heart. Whether you have a funny Valentine or the kind who wants you to propose on one knee, we’ve got their love language covered. You’ll know just what to write in a Valentines card with these Cupid-approved Valentines Day messages.
Of course, warm words aren’t just for lovers. Don’t forget the others who sweeten your life with their presence, however messy and chaotic: friends, family, kids, and teachers. Warm the cockles of their heart (if they have cockles, that is) with our messages just for them.
Valentine’s Day Card Etiquette
When you were a kid, you could just shyly hand over a box of candy hearts to that crush of yours. But now you’re an adult, and the pressure is on: You’re going for that melting look in the eyes. What is a good Valentines Day message? Just follow these steps:
- Start by deciding what tone to go for. Are things new and you want to keep it light? Have you been married for ages and need to thank the spouse who still picks up your socks? Keep the tone breezy or touching to set the mood.
- Then, select a Valentine’s Day greeting card that matches your feelings. Or, start folding paper for a homemade card, you crafty devil, you.
- Next, write a message that’s straight from the heart. No need for poetry; just make it real. If you’re stumped, borrow one of our quotes. It’s perfectly legal.
- And then, come up with a loving closing that tells your partner how beautiful, smart or good at badminton they are. Don’t play it cool, because Valentine’s is all about heating things up.
- Finally, deliver the card in an unexpected way. Prop it in the fridge next to the cold brew. Hang it from the ceiling and see how long it takes them to notice it. Have it delivered along with a pizza.
Here are Valentines Day messages for that partner who makes your heart do painful thumps:
- I’m glad Cupid had such great aim.
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Let’s be anti-social together.
- I get lost in your eyes and find a home in your heart.
- You’re a sweet dream I don’t want to wake up from.
- Just the two of us will always be enough.
- I’m not sure where this is headed, but I like the direction.
- Thanks for helping me live my best life.
- I became the luckiest man in the world when I met you.
- We’re rich in love and so poor in nothing.
- Like a beautiful diamond, all your facets shine.
These Valentines Day quotes for him will stir his heart like a batch of homemade brownies:
- Your smile is a flutter of butterflies in my stomach.
- You’re just like these chocolates, with a sweet gooey center.
- I’ll keep a candle burning tonight, so don’t be late!
- Your love makes my heart strong and my knees weak.
- If love is a gamble, we hit the jackpot.
- There’s one thing I can always hold onto in life: you.
- To my partner in crime, let’s commit a felony of love.
- Love is in the air. Just breathe it in.
- In every storm cloud, you’re my silver lining.
- Spending time together will never make us bankrupt.
Your chums will be stoked if you send them a card with Valentine sayings that make them feel treasured:
- Your friendship is my best therapy.
- You can’t hurry love, so let’s just drink tonight.
- Wishing you good food, dessert, and wine — but not in that order.
- Cheers to my Galantine, who cheers my heart.
- Someday our prince will come.
- To my wingman: keep on trying.
- Who needs flowers when I have you?
- Happy Valentines Day friend, you’re my forever bestie.
- The Universe must be wise because it brought us together.
- You make my life sweet. You deserve chocolate.
Here are Valentines Day sayings for those who were there at the beginning:
- To my parents, who deserve wine for raising me.
- Our family completes the circle of love.
- Today, eat all the candy.
- To mom and dad, who make love look easy.
- Our family might be crazy, but we’re never boring.
- To the ones who started it all, wishing you heaps of love.
- Sending you kisses and Valentine’s wishes.
- Beaming you waves of love across the miles.
- To my sister, one of my favorite people.
- I’ll never forget that you were there for me.
Kids love funny Valentine’s Day cards. Tickle their hearts with one of these messages:
- We go together like peanut butter and jelly.
- Wishing you miles of smiles just like the ones you give to me.
- You’re nice and smart, and you’ve stolen my heart.
- I love you more than a mountain of chocolate!
- To my cuddle bunny, Happy Valentine’s Day!
- You captured my heart the instant you were born.
- To my prince/princess, wishing you a day out of a fairy tale.
- For my cutie pie who’s extra sweet!
- I love you just as you are and more each day.
- I love you THIS BIG!
These Valentine’s sayings will make you the apple of their eye.
- To a great teacher who’s always write!
- To my teacher who is best in class.
- Look how far we’ve come, all thanks to you.
- Thanks for helping us bloom.
- For all you do, thanks a latte!
- You rock, thanks for making learning fun.
- You’re one smart cookie.
- You’re the best example a kid could ask for.
- Your big heart has made my little one so happy.
- Your kindness to me will never be erased.
These Happy Valentine’s quotes will make you sound like a genius without all the effort.
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” —A.A. Milne
- “To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.” —Brandi Snyder
- “True love stories never have endings.” —Richard Bach
- “One is very crazy when in love.” —Sigmund Freud
- “All I do is better with you.” —Anonymous
- “As sure as the sunrise, eternal as the sea is my love for you.” —Rose Franken
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” —Charles M. Schulz
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” —Dr. Suess
- “If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden.” —Claudia Ghandi
- “Love is like a friendship caught on fire.” —Bruce Lee
If none of these Valentines Day messages are your jam, you could fall back on a cheesy pickup line that will either mortally insult your loved one or win the day. Or if you’re in a punny mood, bring on the smiles by using our love puns with charming drawings.