Birthday cards provide an opportunity to show people that you believe their lives are worthy of celebration. To give a meaningful birthday card, you must first consider the recipient. Their style, personality, and relationship to you should dictate which birthday card you choose. Opt for a card that uses colors and imagery you know they like, and seek out card text that feels similar to how the two of you actually speak to one another.
Instead of scrawling your name under generic birthday greetings and calling it a day, add personalized messages to cards you give. A happy birthday message tailored to the recipient makes a card feel more meaningful. Unsure of what to write in a birthday card? There are endless options to choose from when personalizing a card. Read through these birthday card messages to become inspired as you write birthday greetings for your family members, friends, or coworkers.
- Funny birthday wishes
- For a friend
- For your significant other
- For mom
- For dad
- For daughter
- For son
- For other family members
- For coworker/boss
- Belated birthday wishes
Funny Birthday Wishes
Who doesn’t like to laugh? Funny birthday cards can bring a smile to the card recipient’s face, which is a gift in and of itself. A laugh will be greatly appreciated for those celebrating scary milestones like their 30th birthday. If your inscription is what makes the card funny, even better!
- Need to borrow a fire extinguisher? Those are a lot of candles!
- Age brings wisdom. That’s why, as your older sister [brother, friend, etc.], I’ll always be wiser than you.
- Money can’t buy happiness, which is why you won’t find any inside this card.
- Do you remember the day we met? Me neither! I guess we’re both old, now.
- Forty-two? [or another age] In dog years, that’s…still old! (Sorry, I was never good at math.)
- You will always deserve the best! Which is why I will always be in your life.
- For your birthday, I’d like to help you declutter — by taking any leftover cake or booze off your hands.
- Enjoy your special day! Because tomorrow you’ll go back to being regular like everyone else.
- As a wise philosopher once said, “Party like a rockstar on thy birthday.”
- Congratulations, you don’t look nearly as old as you are!
Birthday Wishes for a Friend
There are many interesting birthday gifts for friends you can purchase, but a heartfelt card is something they will hold onto for decades to come. Once you’ve picked out the perfect card, write something special in it to remind them of the warm friendship you share.
- Hope your birthday is even more fun than the time we [an epic adventure you two once had]!
- I can’t wait to see the ways in which you’ll surprise me with your intelligence, kindness, and creativity this year.
- Every year that passes with you as my friend, I consider a major win!
- For your birthday, I wish you a year full of health and happiness.
- I know it’s your birthday, but you’re such a gift in my life.
- You’re such a good person, your birthday should be a federal holiday.
- Thank you for being uniquely you. No one could take your place in the world.
- You are the person who taught me what it means to be a friend.
- Most people would be envious of your style, your looks, and your charm, but you’re such a kind friend, I only feel grateful to know you.
- You deserve to celebrate yourself today, friend.
Birthday Wishes for Your Significant Other
As you buy your gifts for her or gifts for him, don’t forget the birthday card! Use the extra space in the card to share deep feelings you have for your significant other. Putting those feelings into words might be difficult, but it’s worth it. Opening up about your emotions will strengthen your bond and create a meaningful memento.
- Honey, I am so excited to spend another year loving you.
- Your birthday is the perfect time for me to share that I’m grateful you were born and you chose me as a partner.
- Are you aging in reverse? Because with every birthday I find you more attractive.
- Your birthday is my favorite holiday because it represents what’s most important in my life — you.
- Happy birthday to my absolute favorite person on the planet.
- Like a fine wine, you become more complex and valuable with age.
- On your birthday, I want to make every single wish you have come true.
- This is the beginning of another year I will spend feeling amazed by you.
- Being able to celebrate your birthday with you makes me feel like the luckiest man [or woman] in the world.
- I’m dedicated to making this year (and every year after) the best of your life.
Birthday Wishes for Mom
Mother’s Day isn’t the only opportunity to tell your mom what a great job she did raising you. Use her birthday card to show how much she means to you and your family.
- As a mother, you’ve always put your children first. That’s why we want to put you first on your birthday.
- You are such a wonderful mom. Just look at how good I turned out!
- In addition to being a great mother, you are a fantastic friend.
- I know without a doubt that I became the parent I am today because I have you for a mom.
- You always work hard to take care of your family. Today, please relax and focus on self-care. You deserve it.
- May all of your wishes come true this birthday, Mom.
- If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be here. Please know I’m infinitely grateful for all you do.
- I’m so proud to have you for a mother. You set a strong example for the entire family.
- Thanks for putting up with my antics for so many years. Love you, Mom!
- You’re beautiful at every age. Thanks for passing along those good genes!
Birthday Wishes for Dad
Dads deserve to feel valued, too. For your dad’s birthday, write a personal message to share what he means to you. Whether you take the funny, serious, or more sappy route, your meaningful message will surely touch his heart.
- The more mature I become, the more I realize all that you’ve done for me. Thanks so much, Dad.
- Thank you for teaching me how to be a good husband, man, and father.
- You were always there for me when I needed you, and I want you to know that I will always be here for you if you need me.
- I know you feel very lucky having such a great kid (me). Let me say, the feeling is mutual!
- The impact you’ve had on my life is immeasurable.
- You’ve always been a fun dad. Regardless of how old you become, I know you’ll always have a playful, child-like spirit.
- I looked up to you when I was a little kid, and I still look up to you now.
- Happy birthday to my most significant role model.
- It doesn’t matter how old you grow — you’ll always be “daddy” to me.
Birthday Wishes for Daughter
A daughter brings sweetness and love to her parents’ life. Whether she’s a little girl or a grown woman, you can use a birthday card as a chance to tell your daughter how wonderful she is and how grateful you are to be her parent.
- You become cooler every year!
- May this new year bring increased health, peace, and happiness to your life.
- We feel so grateful to have been blessed with such a sweet daughter like you.
- You are our favorite daughter. You’re also our only daughter, but you’re still our favorite!
- You’re such a beautiful, wonderful person. You got it from us!
- We’re happy that we’ve had you in our lives for 20 [her age] amazing years.
- We always knew our special girl would grow up to be a successful young woman. We’re so proud of you.
- You’ve brought us lots of laughter (and maybe a few tears) over the past 30 years [her age]. We wouldn’t want it any other way.
Birthday Wishes for Son
Over the years, sons become accustomed to receiving special birthday attention from their parents. Don’t let the tradition die just because your son has grown up! Instead, use your written words to let your son know that he’s loved and his birthday is very important to you.
- Son, we are so proud of all you’ve accomplished in your lifetime.
- Your birthday is a wonderful time to remind you of how happy we are to have you in our lives.
- May this be your best year yet!
- We wish you another year of love, happiness, and a multitude of adventures!
- Our family wasn’t complete until we had you. Thank you, son.
- Son, we loved you when you were a bald baby and we still love you now that you’re a balding adult.
- You are my absolute favorite 25 [his age] year old!
- You make me smile every time I see you. Can’t wait to celebrate your birthday together!
- Every year you achieve more than we ever could’ve imagined. Congratulations, son.
Birthday Wishes for Other Family Members
Birthday cards aren’t only for parents and children. Birthday wishes for brother, birthday wishes for sister, and birthday wishes for other extended family members such as cousins and grandparents are important as well. Though cards take little effort, they can go a long way toward keeping a family connected.
- You are my sibling by birth, but my friend by choice. Happy birthday!
- My dear sister, I can’t imagine my childhood being anywhere near as fun without you. Enjoy your special day!
- You’re all grown up, but don’t forget that you’ll always be my baby brother.
- Happy birthday wishes, cousin! You’re more like a brother [or sister] to me.
- Niece, we still remember when your parents brought you home. You were cute then, and you’re beautiful now.
- Grandma, thank you for always being there when I need you. I’m more grateful for you every year.
- Grandpa, I have so many happy memories of visits to your house. Thank you for everything you’ve done for our family.
- You were always my favorite aunt. Shhh, don’t tell the others!
Birthday Wishes for Coworker/Boss
Giving cards to people at your workplace can help boost morale. Whether you’re giving birthday wishes to your boss, your employee, or your coworker, they will be sure to appreciate the gesture. Tip: have others sign the card as well to spread even more goodwill.
- I wish you all the best in the next year of your life!
- Working with you is a pleasure. Thank you for all you do for the office.
- Thanks for being such an admirable and supportive boss. Happy birthday!
- You make work fun! Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do as you celebrate this year.
- We might’ve started as coworkers, but now I consider you a friend. Happy birthday, my friend!
- Cheers to another year of being awesome!
- [Company name] just wouldn’t be the same without you. Happy birthday!
Belated Birthday Wishes
With the hectic pace of contemporary life, letting a birthday slip by can happen to the best of us. But you know how the saying goes — better late than never! A birthday card sent a few days (or weeks, or months) late can still be meaningful and bring joy to the recipient.
- I’m sorry if I gave the impression that I forgot your birthday. The truth is, you’re simply unforgettable!
- If you’re reading this, you survived your birthday celebrations. Congratulations!
- The good thing about a belated birthday wish is that now you have an excuse to celebrate twice!
- I’m not late — this card is just early for next year!
- You know what they say: a real card that’s a teensy bit late is still better than a Facebook message that’s on time.
- This card is late because I couldn’t be rushed as I thought of the perfect thing to write, which was this sentence.
- I know I missed your actual birthday, but I still wanted to send wishes for a wonderful year!
With this list, you should feel confident in your ability to decide what to write in a birthday card. If you’re ever at a loss, just copy one of the 88 happy birthday quotes above. No one will ever know!
Although some of these messages are birthday specific, many of them will also work well in greeting cards for any occasion. Birthdays are special, but most people would be delighted to receive a card any time of year!