Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

23-11-2014 Sunday Paintings Exhibition - Zinaida Serebriakova

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 7754 posts

Zinaida Serebriakova (1884 – 1967) was among the first female Russian painters of distinction.

She was born on the estate of Neskuchnoye near Kharkov (now Kharkiv, Ukraine) into one of Russia’s most refined and artistic families. Her father, Evgeny Lancer was a famous sculptor, and her mother, was the sister of Alexander Benois, one of the great aesthetic of the Ballets Russes.
From her youth onwards, Zinaida Serebriakova strove to express her love of the world and to show its beauty.

At the Dressing-Table (the self-portrait) – oil on canvas – 1909

A walk through wikipaintings reveals a great database of paintings. Preference for oil and soft and curved lines; Topics of everyday life, often women and often intimate nude.

Portrait of Lola Braz – 1910

In 1910, her self portrait was shown at an exhibition mounted by the Union of Russian Artists throwing her to fame.

A year later, Serebriakova officially join the Mir Iskutsva, but shortly after she abandon her, defending her own style of simplicity, plasticity and harmony, her preference for popular themes and the generalized nature of her paintings.

Sauna – oil on canvas – 1913

At the outbreak of the October Revolution in 1917, Serebriakova was at her family estate of Neskuchnoye, and suddenly her whole life changed. In 1919 her husband Boris died of typhus contracted in Bolshevik jails. She was left without any income, responsible for her four children and her sick mother.

Harvest – oil on canvas – 1915

All the reserves of Neskuchnoye had been plundered, so the family suffered from hunger. She had to give up oil painting in favour of the less expensive techniques of charcoal and pencil. This was the time of her most tragic painting, House of Cards, which depicts her four orphaned children.
She found some work at the Kharkov Archaeological Museum, where she made pencil drawings of the exhibits.

House of Cards – 1019

In December 1920 she moved to her grandfather’s apartment in Petrograd. It is there, where he will begin to draw the theatrical life of the city. We can say that Serebriakova plunges even within the life of the corps de ballet, full to the locker room, where tutus and ornaments share space with rondeces of undressed.

Ballerinas in the dressing room – 1923

In the autumn of 1924, Serebriakova went to Paris, having received a commission for a large decorative mural. On finishing this work, she intended to return to the Soviet Union, where her mother and the four children remained. However, she was not able to return, and although she was able to bring her younger children, Alexandre and Catherine, to Paris in 1926 and 1928 respectively, she could not do the same for her two older children, Evgenyi and Tatiana, and did not see them again for many years.

Ballet dancers in their dressing room – 1923

After this, Zinaida Serebriakova traveled a great deal. In 1928 and 1930 she traveled to Africa, visiting Morocco. She was fascinated by the landscapes of northern Africa and painted the Atlas mountains, as well as Arab women and Africans in ethnic clothing.

Tata with Vegetables

In 1947, Serebriakova at last took French citizenship, and it was not until Khruschev’s Thaw that the Soviet Government allowed her to resume contact with her family in the Soviet Union. In 1960, after 36 years of forced separation, her older daughter, Tatiana (Tata), was finally allowed to visit her. At this time, Tatiana was also working as an artist, painting scenery for the Moscow Art Theatre.

Zinaida Serebriakova’s works were finally exhibited in the Soviet Union in 1966, in Moscow, Leningrad, and Kiev, to great acclaim.

The stamp of Russia, 15 July 2009 – 125th birth anniversary of the Russian female painter Zinaida Serebriakova (1884–1967).

Zinaida Serebriakova died in Paris on 19 September 1967, at the age of 82. She is buried in Paris, at the Russian cemetery at Sainte-Geneviève-des-Bois.

Information obtained from Wikipedia

Copyright Information
Fair use rationale:
1. It is a historically significant artwork that could not be conveyed in words.
2. The images are only for information, education, and analysis and is for nonprofit educational purposes
3. Their inclusion in the article adds significantly to the article, because they show a major type of work produced by the artist.
4. The images are readily available on the internet
5. The images is a low resolution copy of the original artwork and are unsuitable for commercial use

Featured Collection from Women Painters – RedBubble

• I have chosen the following features from our group gallery.

Congratulations to the women painters with featured artworks!

Please, take a few moments to congratulate the featured artists and comment on these lovely works from our members gallery
All tittles are click-able and will take you to the artist’s page

Catalog

Self Reflection
by RichesRoad

Cirque De La Frida
by RobynLee

Jenny
by Susan Bergstrom

La femme au voile mauve
by Colombe Cambourne

Gleam
by Helenka

Wheel Of Reincarnation
by Anna Ewa Miarczynska

Jonah and the whale
by Jenny Wood

rotes Hütchen
by HannaAschenbach

Magic Moments
by © Linda Callaghan

The Harbour…
by © Janis Zroback

Orca Sonic Love
by Elspeth McLean

Mornington Peninsula Grasslands 9
by Belinda “BillyLee” NYE

Print workshop – Woodend Art Group (mono print 1)
by Margaret Morgan

Showoffs
by marlene veronique holdsworth

Hybiscus
by Ivana Pinaffo

Sylvia Protea
by Elizabeth Kendall

Silky Iceland Poppies
by Ann Mortimer

Louisiana Heron
by Phyllis Beiser

Draft horses………….Flo and Joe
by Sandra Sengstock-Miller

Kitty Gone Tubing
by Alma Lee

Black & Tan Coonhound
by BarbBarcikKeith

Feeling Silly
by Pam Humbargar

Jola #02 – German Short-Haired Pointer
by PaperTigressArt

The Itch
by Phyllis Beiser

RobynLee RobynLee 1519 posts

Thanks Again,Dear Mada, for including me among such talented artists:-) Also,that painter you featured did some beautiful work,I’m definitely going to look it up online!

marlene veronique holdsworth marlene veroni... 195 posts

Wow what a fabulous and interesting feature article – thanks so much for posting it and also for featuring my work today!

• Robyn
    I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit and comment on this feature!!
    I am sure you will love her artworks!
Elizabeth Kendall Elizabeth Kendall 2592 posts

An absolute JOY to read all the info about Zinaida Serebriakova, thanks so much for sharing Mada! Thanks also for including my art here, I feel very honoured. Congratulations to all featured, a wonderful display!

sandysartstudio sandysartstudio 451 posts

Thanking you so much for choosing my art to feature. Many thanks also for including all the info on Zinaida Serebriakova. Interesting reading. sandy

HannaAschenbach HannaAschenbach 57 posts

eine wunderschöne Auswahl – es ehrt mich, dabei zu sein – vielen herzlichen Dank !!

PaperTigressArt PaperTigressArt 14 posts

Wow! Everything is so beautiful! I’m very honored to be among such beauty

©Janis Zroback ©Janis Zroback 8143 posts

Thank you so much…I really appreciate it..Congratulations to all featured artists…

• Marlene
  • Sandra
  • Elizabeth
    I’m so glad you saw this feature and enjoyed it!!
    Thank you so much!!
  • Hanna
  • Janis
    Many thanks for stopping in to leave your comments and support!!
  • PaperTigressArt
    Many thanks for stopping by.
Pam Humbargar Pam Humbargar 695 posts

Another interesting article about a wonderful artist I had never heard of before now…thank you for sharing this. And congratulations to everyone on these beautiful features! And thank you for including my Feeling Silly painting!

Amy-Elyse Neer Amy-Elyse Neer 414 posts

Wow, such a great set of features and a new favorite artist for me! I had never heard of Serebriakova before and now am completely in love with her works! Thank you for sharing this all!

Phyllis Beiser Phyllis Beiser 132 posts

Fantastic article and Serebriakova’s work is absolutely stunning. Congrats to all of the featured artists and thank you so much Madalena for featuring my work as well.

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3134 posts

Fantastic featured works! I love Colombe’s portrait, Linda’s Magic Moments, Sandra’s beautiful draft horses, Ivana’s Hybiscus ….. and……. well, ALL of them really! Congratulations to all the ladies who paint!

• Pam
  • Phyllis
    Thank you for your visit, your comments and your support to our group!
    Your features are very well deserved!
  • Amy-Elyse
    I’m so glad you saw this and enjoyed it!!
    Thank you so much!!
  • Lynda
    Thank you for your lovely comment to our members Works and your support to the group!
Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3041 posts

What a great article about Zinaida & her interesting, difficult life! Lovely choices for the features too Mada – congratulations girls!

• Terri
    Thank you for your support and contribution to the group!
Ann Mortimer Ann Mortimer 96 posts

Thank you Madalena for compiling the interesting article and for choosing some lovely work to display. thanks too for including me!

• Ann
    Happy to see you here!
    Thank you so much!
JolanteHesse JolanteHesse 602 posts

Thank you for highlighting Zinaida Serebriakova; one of my all time favourite painters.
Congratulations to all the featured artists!

• Jolanta
    Is one of my favorites too.
    Many thanks for stopping in to leave your comment and support!!
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait