Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Sunday 20-01-2013 Features - Humans-Animals , a love-hate cultural relationship

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 7747 posts
  • The cultural relationship between man and animals is a love-hate, utility (We love animals but we also eat them), and psychological projection. From fashion accessories for Victorian ladies, to canned as soup components, animals have had throughout history, many different considerations by humans and painters has represented this relation.
  • The cave paintings are one of the oldest art forms. There is evidence dating to 40,000 years old, that is, during the last glaciations. The rock art is essentially a primitive spiritual expression, and can be located on every continent except Antarctica.
  • An Egyptian portrayed 4,600 years ago, and with almost scientific precision, three species of geese in the fresco called Geese of Meidum. The Cretans decorated with images of dolphins and fish the walls of the palace of Knossos. The Romans portrayed in frescoes and mosaics sea creatures, exotic animals and pets. Chinese and Japanese painted birds on paper. The Persians were craftsmen of exquisite miniatures of animals.
  • The medieval illustrated bestiaries inspired the animal symbolism of architects, painters and sculptors medieval, and therefore are also a reference to the symbolic language of animals in literature and Western Christian art.
    Within the bestiaries,we find positive real bestiaries, such as birds (doves, storks, eagles) and lions, bestiaries negative sign as snakes, monkeys, rabbits, pigs, goats, etc and fantastic bestiaries as faucets, dragons, harpies , sirens, basilisks, centaurs, etc..
  • But it was not until the XV century, when the animals began to be represented profusely in European painting, sometimes for symbolic reasons and later for aesthetic reasons related to interest in Natural History.
  • The German post-impressionists such as Franz Marc are dedicated in a very passionate way to animal painting, as representing purity and spirituality lost in the human world.
  • Finally the Pop Art,, represents the peak of the human-animal relationship, reduced to pure consumption, leaving any trace of sentimentality and love to animals to serve as a utilitarian publicity.

Congratulations Women Painters with featured artworks!

This selection is made by me.

Please join us in congratulating these talented artists

Yellow Chicken
by Cindy Schnackel

Birds
by Tatjana Larina

Help Me
by Lynda Harris

Chameleon
by Elizabeth Kendall

Koi
by Tania Vasylenko

Full House
by BarbBarcikKeith

What is left behind
by Karen Gingell

Green Tree Dragon
by Lynnette Shelley

Sleepy Boo
by Pam Humbargar

Fish
by Tania Vasylenko

Spotted Solitude
by Sheryl Unwin

Rainy day….
by karina73020

Tabby Owns Persian
by F.A. Moore

Animals, Two by Two : A pair of Pelicans
by ArtPearl

Resting
by Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A

Frogs in Love
by Deb Coats

Explorers
by Annika Hiltunen

Mugsy
by Karin Zeller

Blue Bottle Fly (Sensitive information)
by Maree Clarkson

Watchful rest (Grey Wolf)
by Elena Kolotusha

I Bow Before You
by Tahnja

Presenting…

Yellow Chicken
by Cindy Schnackel

Birds
by Tatjana Larina

Help Me
by Lynda Harris

Chameleon
by Elizabeth Kendall

Koi
by Tania Vasylenko

Full House
by BarbBarcikKeith

What is left behind
by Karen Gingell

Green Tree Dragon
by Lynnette Shelley

Sleepy Boo
by Pam Humbargar

Fish
by Tania Vasylenko

Spotted Solitude
by Sheryl Unwin

Rainy day….
by karina73020

Tabby Owns Persian
by F.A. Moore

Animals, Two by Two : A pair of Pelicans
by ArtPearl

Resting
by Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A

Frogs in Love
by Deb Coats

Explorers
by Annika Hiltunen

Mugsy
by Karin Zeller

Blue Bottle Fly (Sensitive information)
by Maree Clarkson

Watchful rest (Grey Wolf)
by Elena Kolotusha

I Bow Before You
by Tahnja

I want to thank from the bottom of my heart to Frannie! ♥
Her help was the backbone of this feature!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36988 posts

Excellent feature and introduction, Mada! Oh I love Franz Marc ‘s work. His influence on contemporary art may
seem subtle, but it is actually profound. The cave paintings, remind me of Picasso’s 11-print lithographic series,
where he starts with a brush drawing, moves toward a fully fleshed-out bull, and then proceeds to decompose it
through the rest of the prints, until it has been reduced to minimal lines to portray the essence of the bull
(and a final, abstract work). This beautiful cave drawing you show is somewhere in between.

Your features, Mada— and I know that you selected these all by yourself, this time— are a delightful mix of serious
and light hearted fare. I’m personally in awe of the skill required for Elena Kolotusha’s Watchful rest (Grey Wolf).
Barb’s detailed work on the lizards (Full House) is an impressive feat in composition and value balance.
Tatjana Larina’s Birds is a precious illustration, with all of these lines in a free-flying, happy style . And I love how
you set that work next to Cindy’s Yellow Chicken, so they could be friends. I could go on, for each of the artist’s work,
well chosen, and well done.

And thank you for featuring my “Picasso Blue Period Cat” as a friend has called it. lol. Actually “Tabby Owns Persian”.

Congratulations to Women Painters: Tahnja Wolter, Elena Kolotusha, Maree Clarkson, Karin Zeller, Annika Hiltunen, Deb Coats,
Beatrice Cloake, ArtPearl, Karina, Sheryl Unwin, Tania Vasylenko (2), Pam Humbargar, Lynnette Shelley, Karen Gingell,
Barb Barcik Keith, Elizabeth Kendall, Lynda Harris, Tatjana Larina, and Cindy Schnackel!

(edit. P.S. I helped with formatting featured works, only Mada; you did all the rest, and what a great job, too! You’re welcome. ;)
F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36988 posts

Your note about the Warhol’s soup can (“Beef”) symbolizing a “new”, evolved human to animal relationship is
an interesting perspective. I had not thought of that before.

The more I know about animals the more amazed and happy I am, in understanding they are intelligent and sensitive
and highly skilled at what they do, just as humans are.

Frannie

Thank you so much! Your words make me happy but I must say that was a very interesting research to do.
I really learned a lot!!

ArtPearl ArtPearl 566 posts

Oh what a wonderful display! Of course I’m grateful to you Madalena for including my painting of the pelican couple, but more than that- I’m delighted to read your introduction and to see some captivating paintings. Some I’ve seen and liked before and some I wouldnt have seen otherwise. Certainly added some favs!
Much more than the usual group features, I hope you’ll have more like it.

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3130 posts

A WONDERUL feature Mada and some truly astonishing artwork on display here today. I love ALL of them, but particular stand outs for me are Beatrice’s swans, Karin’s ‘Mugsy, and Maree’s Blue Bottle fly! It’s fantastic what a difference the large format makes. It is like attending a gallery! Your introductions is fantastic Mada! Congratulations to you for this great presentation, and congratulations and huge pats on the back to all the artists involved.

Dianne  Ilka Dianne Ilka 955 posts

Fantastic selection!!!

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 5081 posts

Thank you so much for including my Yellow Chicken! Beautiful work everyone, congrats! Cool info on the cave art and other movements, too!

Elena Kolotusha Elena Kolotusha 13 posts

Fantastic! Thank you!

Deb Coats Deb Coats 223 posts

thank you, great work you picked…. awesome job

Kargin Kargin 89 posts

Great article and great selection, I’m delighted to be part of this group, thank you

Wow!!
Thank you, Girls.
I declare myself fascinated by each of the selected artworks!!!

The large format allows us to appreciate much more the characteristics of each work!

Pam Humbargar Pam Humbargar 687 posts

A wonderful collection of animal artwork, Madalena; and enjoyed enjoyed the introductory information, as well. I’m honored to have my Sleepy Boo included among the works!

Alga Washington Alga Washington 351 posts

Great artwork, congrats to all!

BeClo BeClo 8868 posts

Wow How wonderful to be among these gorgeous paintings on display. Congratulations to all my piers and thank you Madalena.

karina73020 karina73020 80 posts

thank you Madalena and congratulations to all fabulous works here… great!! bisous Kxxx

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait