The RedBubble Curated Art Gallery

SHOWCASING THE FINEST PHOTOGRAPHY ON REDBUBBLE TODAY!

FEATURED ARTIST INTERVIEW: STEFFI JUNG (locked)

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

Tonight we start our first ever “LIVE ONLINE FEATURED ARTIST INTERVIEW” with the very talented Steffi Jung

Hello Steffi, are you there?

Stephanie Jung Stephanie Jung 13 posts

Hey Byron, yes I’m here :)

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

Welcome to our first ever interview. I have never done this before, so please forgive me if I don’t seem too professional.

EXPLORING OSAKA by STEFFI JUNG

Thank you so much :) This is my first interview, too. So don’t worry!

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

First up Steffi, can you tell us where and when you were born?

SHIBUYA by STEFFI JUNG

I was born in Speyer, a small town in South-West Germany on May 11th, 1989.

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

What is your earliest recollection of being creative, and when did you know that being an artist was something that was important to you?

PARIS WALKING 2

Well, besides my ordinary paintings when I was a child, I think my main recollection of being creative is about 6 years ago, when I became interested in photography. The first image I was really proud of, was an experimental capture of stairs (sounds really simple, I know).
In the last three years I realized that photography or art in general is very important to me, because it’s the way I express myself and capture very special moments I never want to forget.

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

Do you remember your first camera? [Mine was a 1938 German Praktica 35mm SLR]

What camera equipment do you use now?

DANS LE METRO by STEFFI JUNG

Of course, well not the exact type, but it was a Praktica, too ;)
Now I use mainly the Olympus E-510 (14-42mm, 40-150mm and 70-300mm), but also compact cameras like the Sony DSC-H3 and Sigma DP1.
But I’m thinking about buying a Nikon D300 soon. We’ll see!

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

You have your own very distinct and unique style of work, with three main sub-styles:

1. the multiple exposure,
2. blurred, and
3. the “shooting through the trees” style you used on your “Crane” [Kraniche] series.

How did you develop these styles [especially the multiple exposure style]?

CITY OF TOKYO by STEFFI JUNG

The “multiple exposure” is an effect I create with post-processing. I first had the idea when I was in Paris, at the La Defense district, which is a very busy area. I wanted to boost this busy mood and so started to experiment some new techniques. But it became my main topic, when I was in Japan this year. Standing on Tokyo’s cityhall and viewing this endless city definitely influenced me in my vision. Besides the busy moods, I try to visualize special moments getting lost in time by using this effect.

The “blurred” and “shooting through the trees” styles are my personal way of seeing things. I like combining abstract with figurative elements, either to set a focus or just to make people think. I like when things are not obvious at first sight and there is much space for different interpretations.

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

As a photographer myself I am constantly striving to create feelings and emotions in my images. I use black & white and high contrast to express mood and the struggle between opposing parts of my own personality. My photography is very much about me.

It is amazing how as photographers we can convey feelings in so many different ways visually.

For example, your multiple exposure work of cities really conveys feelings of chaos and the busy non-stop nature of city life. Your images feel the way a city feels. This is an amazing accomplishment.

I feel that they are some of the most accurate representations of city life that I have ever seen in contemporary photography.

I really admire and respect the intent that you put into your work, it is not haphazard or created by chance. This is something that you don’t see in many photographers.

I have been to Japan, and your images of Japan really made me connect with the feelings I had when I was there.

“I like when things are not obvious at first sight and there is much space for different interpretations.”

This is one of my favourite aspects of photography. Being able to show the true nature of something by not showing it in the way we normally see it.

Do you use your work to express who you are and how you feel?

Have you ever held any exhibitions or won any competitions?

What is your favourite image that you have created?

What is your favourite image by another artist on RedBubble?

KRANICHE 4 by STEFFI JUNG

Do you use your work to express who you are and how you feel?

Yes, you are right, I use my work to express how I feel and who I am. It’s easier to visualize my emotions with photography than using words. If you see a picture, you soon have a feeling or opinion about it, you don’t always need words to understand.

Thank you so much Byron, I’m really glad that you have a special feeling to my work, means a lot to me. Especially that you’ve been to Japan and understand my point of view. I absolutely love this country, it’s so different from where I’ve been before and a great place to be creative.

Have you ever held any exhibitions or won any competitions?

No, I have never held any exhibitions or taken part in any competitions, but that’s something I want to change in future.

What is your favourite image that you have created?

Puh, my favorite image I’ve created? That’s very difficult because I have a special feeling to all of my works (would be weird if I didn’t ;)), but at the moment it’s Another view of Paris because I have lots of positive memories about this trip and I really loved the mood on this evening, standing on the Arc de Triomphe.

What is your favourite image by another artist on RedBubble?

Oh wow..there are SO many gorgeous artists here with lots of beautiful works! Again, not easy to answer, but to name one I really adore: ALISON JOHNSON I just love her work, her vision is awesome. It’s about the “space of interpretation” we mentioned before, Alison’s work is abstract but at the same time so familiar with lots of things to discover by viewing it several times. My favorite image is Shades of heat :)

I’m sorry that it takes me so long to answer your questions, but as I’m German, I have to look up some words ;)

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

I suspected you may be using a dictionary. I am trying really hard to not use local dialect or terminology.

Well Steffi, it has been fabulous getting to know a bit more about you and your work.

I really appreciate your time for participating in this interview.

Do you have any last thoughts you would like to tell the members of RedBubble before we finish the interview?

CITY LIFE 3 by STEFFI JUNG

Luckily there is a very helpful online dictionary, it’s my best friend ;)

Thank you so much for inviting me to take part in this interview and being able to tell more about myself and my work. It was fun talking to you Byron!

Well, the last thing I’d like to say is, that I’m really glad to have found RedBubble. I love the fact that there are so many talented artists you can get to know and keep in touch with. It’s a great place to get inspired and develop your personal style.

And of course I want to thank all the members who took their time to view and comment on my work :)

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

Thank you Steffi, again it has been great getting to know you. [you have to love online dictionaries and translators!]

I look forward to seeing more of your work on RedBubble, as I am certain many many members do.

Thankyou, and goodnight!

FOREST 2 by STEFFI JUNG

BYRON BYRON 12654 posts

MAIGO DESU 3 by STEFFI JUNG

SKYSCRAPER by STEFFI JUNG

DUSTERE ZEITEN 2 by STEFFI JUNG

AFTER WORK… by STEFFI JUNG

CITY LIFE by STEFFI JUNG

OSWIECIM by STEFFI JUNG

CITY LIFE 4 by STEFFI JUNG