Style! Class! Elegance! Excellence! ( No Borders or texts added & only 1 Image per day please) CLOSED

For this group, the use of light, and good exposure and composition are key factors in producing high quality images.This means we want to see your best work up here: Work that has Style, Class, Elegance and is Excellent!

Interview with Paul Manning

rosson1 rosson1 377 posts

1. Hi Paul. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Sure, husband to 1, the most beautiful girl in the world, Dad to 2 amazing boys, late mid 30’s – 37 to be precise and absolutely addicted to the ocean and capturing its many moods. Definitely not a professional photographer I have to hold down a ‘real job’ during the day. We live at Rainbow Bay on the Gold Coast of Australia, we like to think of it as our own little slice of heaven. We moved here a couple of years ago having made the decision to get out of the rat race that is Sydney and have never looked back.

2. Your images are quite incredible. What inspires you?

It began as stress relief walking along the coastline of Sydney’s Eastern Beaches before and after work, then I started taking photos of coastal environment and my eldest son surfing. Following the 2004 tsunami, I realised just how lucky we are to live in such a great place and created the Perfect Wave Gallery to share my images. Since then our eldest son was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and the one thing that brings him ‘relief’ for want of a better word is surfing. These days we find that our life has become surfing, the ocean and the beach, if we are not at work or school we’re on the beach and in the water. Taking photos is still great stress relief but its more than that now the ocean environment has become our life, it inspires us and I love to capture awesome images and share them far and wide!

3. Can you share some of your secrets for getting such great shots?

Every time I go out with camera in hand I try to look at the world as though I’m seeing it for the first time. I try and go out in all conditions and I take lots of photos. I haven’t had any formal training I just play with the camera’s functions 1 at a time learning what they do and how they capture the light. My camera is never far away I take photos of everything. The most important thing is to enjoy it, I love my subject matter and I try to create my own images and never replicate someone else’s. If I’m not happy with an image it will never see the light of day, even if it happens to be technically correct – whatever that means! Have fun, love what you do and be yourself.

4 What are your Likes/Dislikes?

I love spending time with my family and getting wet! Whenever I can I will get in the water with my camera. Normally my eldest is in the water surfing so it’s fantastic time to spend together, especially as the sun is rising or setting. My youngest came out for a photo walk with me the other day, what a treat! He’s keen to learn and we spend time together – does it get better! Nothing like a glass of good red wine to help with the creative process either!

I hate, with a passion, peoples absolute inability to put rubbish (trash, garbage whatever you want to call it) in the right spot – THE OCEAN, in fact any part of our environment is NOT A TRASH CAN – put your rubbish in the bin people! Need I say more?

5. Do you have any other interests outside of photography?
What you mean I don’t have to go everywhere with my camera? Oh dear I’ll have to think about this one some more…

6. Do you have any favourite artists – either on Redbubble or elsewhere?

Hmmmm, this will probably sound awful, but no I don’t really have a favorite artist. I have always been inspired by the work of Ansel Adams, I think it was his images that sparked my interest in photography. Here on Redbubble I add my favorite artists to my watchlist as I come across them. There is so much talent out there and I love looking at the work that others create – its awesome and I take inspiration from it.

7. is there anything else you’d like to add?
Just one last thought, my goal is and has always been to create awesome images, its what I love to do, I read a quote in one of my sons school assignments the other day ‘do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail’.

To finish I want to thank everybody out there who has taken the time to view my images, leave comments, favorite them, vote for them in challenges and feature them in groups. I’m flattered and inspired to keep raising the bar and see what trail I can blaze.

Thanks Ralph! Cheers Paul

Thanks so much for your time Paul.

dinghysailor1 dinghysailor1 824 posts

what a fantastic interview ! thanks for sharing paul – your images are awesome and your passion for this art shines through.. and great job ralph

Linda Gregory Linda Gregory 437 posts

Wonderful interview. Now if we could just get some of those fabulous waves in Arizona!

Silvia Ganora Silvia Ganora 609 posts

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful interview!

Joanne  Bradley Joanne Bradley 203 posts

Fantastic! Had to check out Paul’s portfolio after seeing these examples! What stunning work!

lighthouse lighthouse 789 posts

Thank you for the interview Paul & Ralph, interesting read.

JennyMac JennyMac 101 posts

Thanks for sharing Paul… and thanks Ralph for bringing it to us! It’s always fascinating to find out how another artist ticks… so inspirational!! I’m off now to check out Paul’s portfolio. If it’s anything like the works above I’m in for a treat… cheers… : )

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait