Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Maria Paterson's Reception

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37050 posts

#maria paterson

(mariart)

Maria Patterson is a co-host of Contemporary Pastel Painters.

“A group for artists working in the pastel medium, soft pastel, oil pastel, hard pastel, conte, pastel pencils and mixed media with pastel.”

mariart mariart 1459 posts

#Featured works

Hermit of Simpsons Lake
by Maria Paterson
Surfing Wategos Byron Bay…
by Maria Paterson
Surfers Paradise still…
by Maria Paterson
Still life & the…
by Maria Paterson
Little Bee
by Maria Paterson
Light in the Darkness
by Maria Paterson
Three Boys
by Maria Paterson
Tissue Girl
by Maria Paterson
Marlin & the Dancer
by Maria Paterson
Girl on Ball
by Maria Paterson
Three Graces of Middle…
by Maria Paterson
Wategos Maiden
by Maria Paterson

After joinind redbubble i was really excited to find a pastel group called contemporary pastel painters hosted by
Alice McMahon and Valerie Simms both top class pastellists, it was so good to see such a variety of styles and subjects in this medium. When Alice invited me to co-host this group I was more than happy to be part of this unique group! I do work in other mediums but pastels have been part of my art practice since i was a young girl. Call it fate, but my dad brought home an old box of pastels 3 tiered around 280 pastels of the old talons brand and rembrandts. I still have that box today.

About my work

am fortunate to live in a beautiful part of the world, which has been the inspiration for most of my work. I have many different subjects i work on from figures and still life to the landscape. Im not sure how to describe my work together but i guess im always looking for the beauty in life. I use a combination of photography, sketching and life studies to create my subjects My main mediums are pastel on paper, oil on canvas and i also produce ceramic figures when the mood hits me. Ive been studying and practicing as an artist since my teens and i have also taught art in schools and adult education. To see details of the work click on the image.

artist interview
website
my bubblesite

Hermit of Simpsons Lake
pastel 75cm x 55cm

this is the beautiful underwater world of the esturay where i live, its an amazing wet land which runs into the river estuary at the beach. These hermit crabs live in the tidal zone where a lake forms each day, the colours and clear depths of the water are mesmerising.

Surfing Wategos Byron Bay
pastel 75cm x 55cm

My partner Keith Dunstone (sunranger) took the photo of the girls sitting on the rocks watching the surf one perfect surf day. I played around with the location a bit to get the right angle. The pass is a famous surf break and Byron Bay is a tourist destination for the world.

Surfers paradise still life
pastel
45cm x 55cm

This is one of my new still life pieces, ive had a break for a few years doing other subject matter, so ive embarked into a new series. I am utilising alot of objects ive been collecting and the tourist t=towel really appealed to me. Surfers Paradis is not really like this by the way, it is full of highrise and spin.

Still life and the sculpture cupboard
pastel on paper
76cm x 46cm

Another new work, i was facinated by the vase a decorative 50s or 60s model, im intersted in combining different elements in the same picture, new and old, dark and light subject matter. I like to create a narrative

Little Bee
pastel on paper
76cm x 46cm

One from my circus series. I was watching a trapeze class one day and this little girl amazed me by her courage, firstly in climbing up so high and secondly by leaping off the platform into space. The little bee just happended to be passing by at the time i took the photo, but i though it was very symbolic and included him.

Light in the Darkness
oil on canvas
55cm x 75cm

this one if from a trip we did in central queensland, my daughter was standing in the doorway and my partner took a few photos of her, I loved the light filtering behind her and the elegant expression. I played around with tilting the angles in the composition to try get an interesting balance between the light & dark.

Three Boys
pastel on paper
45cm x 35cm

This was from a circus performance, i was drawn to the way the boys were spaced against that dark and bright background. They were very surreal even though it was a comedic act, there was something so disarming about them.

Red Tissue Girl
pastel on paper
35cm x 45cm

I take hundreds of photos when i attend the kids performances, there is a lot of movement so it is great when i review them and i get a classic shot like this that i can work with.

Marlin & the dancer
oil on board
76cm x 46cm

This is a tribute to an old horse that wasnt looked after properly, we got to know him towards the end of his life and i imagined him in a place where the rider was as light as a dancer and he no longer suffered.

Girl on Ball
pastel on paper
45cm x 55cm

This image reminded me of life, trying to stay on the ball

Three graces of Middle Pocket
Oil on board
1.75m x 90cm

a self indulgent painting about us old girls riding the range

Wategos Maiden
oil on canvas
1.2m x 90cm

I wanted to combine flowers and the figure , an Ingres style figure in a modern setting

MoonSpiral MoonSpiral 800 posts

I love your work Maria. Your pastels always amaze me. Congratulations!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37050 posts

Maria, Breathtaking work. I love seeing these large together. They make me feel like I’m in a real gallery.

I’ll come back and comment more on these. Congratulations on a brilliant set-up!

Kim McClain Gregal Kim McClain Gr... 1020 posts

Stunning, fantastic!

thankyou everyone! Im still working out the best format so i might make some changes to the smaller ones now ive worked it out. Thankyou for the opportunity to post them in this wonderful exhibition of hosts

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3156 posts

WOW! This looks absolutely fantastic Maria. You are a very talented artist.

maxy maxy 17347 posts

So much gorgeous life, action and color in your works! I love it!!! Congratulations!!!

Anne-Marie Bokslag Anne-Marie Bok... 624 posts

Beautiful works Maria! Congrats!!!!

Alixzandra Alixzandra 697 posts

I am so enjoying wandering through each exibition and seeing such beautiful and diverse artforms. All your work is wonderful, so beautifully detailed and executed, I particularly love Marlin & the Dancer

Elizabeth Rodriguez Elizabeth Rodr... 11033 posts

HI , Maria !.. wow……………………. !!!!!!!…. your work is purely delightful……. you capture such a sense of special joy…. moments in time .. what a feeling I receive in viewing .. the lighting is so incredible , . and the strokes are so superb……… ♥♥.. i must come and see these more closely again and again.. I have faved a few right now….. that I so enjoyed. those three boys… red tissue girl…….. pure delightful to me .

thankyou lynda, maxy, anne marie, alixandra & isa, thanks for visiting and enjoying my works, it is really good seeing all the group hosts and discovering what they get up to!

Magi5760 Magi5760 793 posts

Super work Maria! Congratulations and well done – you have done a great job putting everything together so nicely!

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait