SoJie 17

James Shepherd James Shepherd 9 posts

Sincerity
by James Shepherd

Digital Art

Digital Oil Painting (see description)
3240 × 4320px
No Stock used.

These wrinkles and frowns are obviously from smiles.
Medium – Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, stylus pen and ArtRage 3 Studio painting software. The tablet is my canvas surface. The stylus pen is my paintbrush using different pressures and stroke patterns.
Brush techniques include:- oil brush, which I have set up to different settings of pressure, paint loading and thinner levels, the four main brushes being: 100% 80% 0% (25% brush size), 100% 36% 0% (20% brush size), 30% 12% 0% (4% to 10% brush size) and 80% 80% 10%, (50% brush size) and also customized as required in both square and round brush. Paint tube, mainly for background work. Soft tip pencil at 50% pressure is used for perspective and detail sketches. Palette knife set to many varying levels of pressure and knife size, four main settings: 7% (12% size), 5% (15% size), 15% (20% size), 100% (30% size). Airbrush, used only for shading work. Brush strokes are often visible in my work.

July 2012 Juried Invitational Exhibition
Chris Baker Chris Baker 87 posts

Richard
by Chris Baker

Traditional Art

Oil on masonite laid canvas
22 inches x 27 inches

‘Richard’ is a portrait painting of a writer friend of mine who I’d asked some years back to sit for me,
but only got the necessary sittings some months ago. The first sitting was for sketching only,
then there were two subsequent sittings thereafter with a photo-shoot in between.

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Technical Merit – Oil
SoJie 17, July 2012

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Portrait Master
SoJie 17, July 2012

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Portrait Master
SoJie 17, July 2012
James Shepherd James Shepherd 9 posts

Sunshine of your smile
by James Shepherd

Digital Art

Digital Oil Painting (see description)
3240 × 4320px
No Stock used.

These wrinkles and frowns are obviously from smiles.
Medium – Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, stylus pen and ArtRage 3 Studio painting software. The tablet is my canvas surface. The stylus pen is my paintbrush using different pressures and stroke patterns.
Brush techniques include:- oil brush, which I have set up to different settings of pressure, paint loading and thinner levels, the four main brushes being: 100% 80% 0% (25% brush size), 100% 36% 0% (20% brush size), 30% 12% 0% (4% to 10% brush size) and 80% 80% 10%, (50% brush size) and also customized as required in both square and round brush. Paint tube, mainly for background work. Soft tip pencil at 50% pressure is used for perspective and detail sketches. Palette knife set to many varying levels of pressure and knife size, four main settings: 7% (12% size), 5% (15% size), 15% (20% size), 100% (30% size). Airbrush, used only for shading work. Brush strokes are often visible in my work.

Digital Art – Honors
SoJie 17, July 2012
Lana Wynne Lana Wynne 592 posts

Sitting Pretty
by Lana Wynne

Traditional Art

Medium: Acrylics and oil pastels
Dimensions: 41×51cm

My goal in this painting was not to copy the original photo of Mia, or to capture the exact likeness. As you see, I’ve purposely enlarged her eyes and changed some other features to give her face more expression and connection with the viewer. I created a different background to fit Mia into the style that I had in mind for the painting. I also changed the lighting angle from the right (in original photograph) to the left, which presented a lot of challenges in the process. I’ve used stylized elements in my painting and wanted Mia to have a stylized look. This way all the elements are harmonious, not only the color but the style as well. I wanted to keep Mia’s cute characteristics so that she would still be recognized as Mia, Corrie’s sweet dog.

Inspired by the following reference image,
under written agreement with the photographer:

Chihuahua and the Kayak Adventure
by Corri Gryting Gutzman

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Excellence in Portraiture
SoJie 17, July 2012

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Excellence in Composition
and Harmony
SoJie 17, July 2012
Antionette Antionette 1036 posts

Angel of dawn
by Antionette

Traditional Art

Oil on canvas.
40 × 60cm

I knew immediately that this was the translation I had to do, but I also knew that the stripes in her dress will be very hard to achieve….. this is my version of “Stripes”.

Inspired by the following reference image,
under written agreement with the photographer:

Stripes
by Graceful Imaging

Janis Zroback Fine Art
Award for Portraiture
Excellence in Emotive
Qualities
SoJie 17, July 2012
madworld madworld 110 posts

Toby…The day I shot an angel
by madworld

Photographic Art

Canon 50D rime 50mm lens
ISO 100 , Image size width 2792 × 3952

Yesterday did not go as planned. Toby was here by 8am, meaning he had left his home at 7am and had been got out of bed at 6am. I heard him yelling my name before the car stopped and then he came tearing into the house to make his presence known, checking out the rooms, excusing himself when he wanted to speak and showing his little brother Harry the ropes.

I had a certain shot in mind, one of a tranquil angel standing on the wharf surrounded only by sky and water. What I got was entirely different. It was cold, the wind was blowing and Toby was E X C I T E D!. He ran round and round the beach with his wings on which would catch the wind and turn upside down, he couldnt stay still for a second. So I got what I could and there are a couple such as this one, that Im really quite happy with. It shows Toby as Toby, nothing more, nothing less. A little four year old boy, full of life and joy and the happiness of just being Toby.

madworld madworld 110 posts

Katie the most loved
by madworld

Photographic Art

Canon 50D prime 50mm lens
ISO 800
4752 × 3168 px

I was really saddened to hear Katie has been diagnosed with an incurable lung disease. I love her outlook on life and
the joy she brought me when she came out to have her portraits taken. She is very special, a fragile princess.

Photographic Art – 2nd Place
SoJie 17, July 2012
Elizabeth Rodriguez Elizabeth Rodr... 11033 posts

cant help but look
by Isa Rodriguez

Photographic Art

Portrait taken at home spontaneously
Sony Cyber-shot DSC P200 .
Enhanced shadowing with Piknic

A shot of my dear Larry ( rip, Larry: 5/10/1956 – 2/9/2012)
Straight up and direct ,this shot I hope shows character and attitude and a sweetness that we connected
with each other :) because I do believe he is winking at me . ( in his own way)

Elizabeth Rodriguez Elizabeth Rodr... 11033 posts

corona without a lemon (Trailer Park America Series)
by Isa Rodriguez

Digital Art

Self-portrait
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC P 200
Post-processing: Digitally altered in Photoshop Elements

You know that saying. when life gives you lemons?. well. what if you have no lemons?……. LOL
Shot taken at our little place in the sun in Florida

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37052 posts

Entries are now closed.

Congratulations to all Exhibitors.
Please watch this topic with the link provided by RedBubble at the top right of each page.

Announcements for promotional banner, the web ring, and awards will be made here.
The show opens tomorrow.

Presenting the Panel of Judges

RAJEEV KASHYAP
Photography Judge

Ludhiana, India’s Rajeev Kashyap is a free-lance photographer, working with zeal to create work that is both spiritual and brave. His travels to Leh Laddack, Amarnath Yatra, Badrinath, and Agra have inspired photographs imbued with a rich human spirit and nature’s panoramic grandeur. Kashyap is generous with subject matter, with nature scenes, landscapes, portraits, still life, self portraits, and more. On occasion, Kashyap works with assistants and other photographers, always looking for new projects and ideas.

Rajeev was the Photographic Expert on the SoJie 17 Jury, and served in the same capacity in Solo’s 2nd Juried Invitational Exhibition, in April, 2010. Rajeev solo’d with the group in July 2009.

—Stella Rothe (LilyNoelle)

Rajeev Kashyap

The artist’s solo show with Solo Exhibition, July 2009, has since been

The Rajeev Kashyap Gallery.

Rajeev has exhibited in Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions (SoJie’s), and, also,

served as the Photography Judge in SoJie 2.

Buddhist Old Women
by RajeevKashyap

Dal Lake
by RajeevKashyap

ANNA CUYPERS
Digital Judge

Anna Cuyper’s, from the Flemish part of Belgium, stages, performs, and photographs her art.
The Flemish artist is beautiful, and brilliant.

It is hard to imagine such a consumate artist lives in great pain, struck with debilitating
Rheumatoid Arthritis eight years ago. Successive surgeries and a neck prosthesis have not worked.
Her profession as a social worker and psychotherapist has been replaced by frequent hospital and
pain clinic visits.

Anna releases anger and depression by creating her unique brand of art. She engages us in a
game of contradictions, between strength and weakness. With the poetic power of some
Shakespearean tragedy, Cuypers’ art alludes to her keen interest in opera, drama, and the human psyche.
She is her own best model. Once you dare to really look, you cannot take your eyes off of Anna Cuypers.

Anna has participated in numerous SoJie’s and was the Photography Judge for SoJie 13.
She was the Digital Expert on the SoJie 17 Jury panel, but has chosen two photographic
works for special awards, along with some digital works for special mention.

—F. A. Moore

Anna Cuypers

The artist’s solo show with Solo Exhibition, October 2010, was made a permanent gallery,

The Anna Cuypers Gallery @ solo exhibition.

Anna has also exhibited in Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions (SoJie’s), and, also,

served as the Photography Judge in SoJie 13.

eyes
by annacuypers

''one''
by annacuypers

HELENE RUIZ
Traditional Judge

New York City-born Helene Ruiz calls art her “passion, religion and salvation.” The eccentric, dreamlike quality of her images would be classified as surrealism, but Ruiz portrays her own reality in her art, revealing her own perceptions of the truth in her life and “the lives of others.” She paints all of her work by hand and begins each painting with a drawing proving herself, a traditional artist to the very core. Her lively use of lines and colors bring her world to life in quirky and imaginative paintings. Beyond creating a reality above ordinary “reality,” she has curated many shows and widely exhibited her work. She is the founder of The Urban Individualists, an arts collective that sweeps international borders. Ruiz hopes that her work will speak to each viewer in a new way, allowing each person to find their own story in what she has envisioned.

Helene was one of two Traditional experts on the Jury Panel, for SoJie 17. Besides having been an official “Nominator” for various SoJie’s, tapping artworks for shows, Helene had a solo show with Solo Exhibition in May, 2010.

Helene Ruiz  

The artist’s solo show with Solo Exhibition, May 2010, was made a permanent gallery,

The Helene Ruiz Permanent Gallery

Helene has also exhibited in Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions, since their inception.

in the studio with cat…meditation
by helene ruiz

Dreams of Moon Kisses and Psychedelic Lollipops
by helene ruiz

JANIS ZROBACK
Traditional Judge

Janis Zroback’s art is luminous. From her thoughtful abstracts to her tantilizing paintings of desserts, Zroback crafts a warm and delightful world of light and texture. Residing in Toronto, Zroback has taught art privately and in college; has been a “frequent contributor to Canada’s premier design and art magazines”; as well as appeared on television in decorating shows. Painting a wide variety of subjects in many diverse styles, she is heavily inspired by poetry and literature, including work that she has written. There is a glowing, lively quality to Zroback’s art, and the diversity of her portfolio allows for continuous discovery and exploration.

Janis is one two Traditional Experts on the SoJie 17 Jury. The artist has participated as a nominee to a number of SoJie’s, and also shown in Solo’s sponsored Alt Art Expo. Her solo show was in April of 2011.

Janis Zroback  

Janis Zroback’s solo show with Solo Exhibition, April 2011, was made a permanent gallery,

The Janis Zroback Gallery @ Solo Exhibition

Dreams…
by Janis Zroback

Fresh Snow…
by Janis Zroback

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait