Pink Panther Magazine--Feminist Art & Writing

A women's group, celebrating feminist art and writing

I am a woman - hear me scream....

Anna Shaw Anna Shaw 7340 posts

Have you ever felt It’s time to get angry? Have you ever felt that all this polite and smiley feminism is getting us nowhere? Have you ever felt like screaming?

I am feeling pretty fed up at the moment at having to be such a ‘nice’ feminist to be accepted. Sometimes I want to be a man-hater, angry and bitchy about all that is going on, but woe is me if I do. I seem to spend more time reassuring other women that feminism is not about hating men etc etc etc that sometimes I want to scream.

Do you know what I mean? If so here is the place to express yourselves…….

The idea for this forum started HERE

helene ruiz helene ruiz 2979 posts

AHHHHHH!!!!!! A PLACE FOR VOICE! YES!
I am angry at every damned thing placed upon us as women and i am angry at how we are blamed even for our own deaths, rapes, beatings, verbal abuse, low pay…etc…. i am angry of the stupid stereotypical remarks, like “cry like a girl” “she’s just a girl” “what were u doing out by yourself in the dark?” etc etc etc…..i am TIRED! of the BULLSHIT! LET"S SCREAM! LET"S MAKE SURE WE ARE HEARD!

Sybille Sterk Sybille Sterk 1471 posts

This whole thing reminds me of the whole discussion about gays. Yes, we do need some fire to push and prod and achieve some kind of change, but like every minority group on this planet (although we aren’t really a minority) there’s always the fact of having to justify yourself. What for? There should be no need for justification. What does it matter if I am black or white, a woman or a man, gay or hetero. At the end of the day all this is just pot luck, chance, something we have no control over. What should matter is what we do with what we’ve been given. Feminism in the same way as racial discrimination or any other form of discrimination should be met with logic and reason. Shouting may feel good BUT at the end of the day we’ll just conform to yet another stereotype when we do. But yes, there needs to be solidarity amongst us and we need to ‘cry out’ when a woman is accused of being at fault for her own rape/beating etc. And anyway, there’s nothing wrong with crying, it’s a darn side healthier than going out to get drunk…

and yes! crying indicate we “feel” as well…we can feel compassion, we can “feel”!

… and we accept that sometimes we’re weak and we need to get things out of our system before they get us!

As I look into the eyes of my murderer, a million questions run through my mind…
Why are you doing this?
What is it you want from me?
Is there anything I can do or say that will make you change your mind?
Would you not be here if you had no mother to give birth to you?
Was that her only use to you?
What about your wife, do you love her?
Do you love at all?
Do you have sisters, mothers, daughters, nieces?
Do you love?
Aren’t you the one I saw in Church on Sunday?
Weren’t you praying?
Now what will happen to my children?
How will my family go on after this?
Who will be there to help them?
How will they eat?
Will they ever stop grieving?
How much pain will I feel?
Is this going to be quick?
I think…
I wish I had spent that few more moments with them to say I love you, to hug them, I wish I had eaten breakfast with them, instead I hurried off to make a few dollars so we can eat tomorrow…but I promised my kids I would play with them when I got home…I promised!
Now….I look into the eyes of my murderer…as the light is getting closer..and still I have questions….still I have thoughts…
Will I be right around the corner somewhere just waiting for the rest of them?
How many more will there be?
Will my daughter be spared?
Will my mother be spared?
Will my sister be spared?
Will I ever rest in peace?
Will justice ever be served?
My eyes close, but I can still see….
I can still see the eyes of my murderer…

ENOUGH!

Consumed by man’s inventions, and i am still cleaning this damned house!

from my femicide series
this particular explicit piece addresses the child rapes in islam, the mother is as helpless as her young daughter as she has no rights and cannot even protect her….the victims of rape are usually sentenced to murder…but the rapists are free….women are “nothing”…many cases of young girls being raped by their fathers, brothers, cousins, uncles etc…they are then sentenced to die as they are no longer of any use..or they are considered sluts, deserving of the rapes and death sentence, regardless of their age

WOW Helene you are one AMAZING woman.

@ Sybille, – I see what you are saying, but sometimes feeling angry about the whole deal – or even part of it, is not about being weak – but being angry. If we were treated with logic and reason all the time – then we would not need to feel angry.

I do not want to be made to feel bad when I am sometimes angry. I do not want to have to watch what I say in case I offend someone. I do not want to feel weak simply because I am female. There are lots of forums here in PP where we can be the voice of reason, be fair, just and altogether nice, where we can understand what is going on and why – but sometimes, just sometimes, I really do need to scream.

This week, one member of another group I host told me to go ‘suck a dick’ ! Then I was seriously verbally abused by a very drunken man ( a neighbour) on the same day – not for any reason than he was drunk and felt like attacking someone/anyone and I was in the firing line – so I ended up generalising that all men are bastards. Now before anyone else jumps on me.. I KNOW it is not true but sometimes I want to scream about their abuse of power and privilege.

Also, I think that I see so many images and poems which are all about women yearning for their men to love them, pleasure them, lust them, satisfy them, provide for them, adore them – that I want to scream about that too. AARRGGHH

Think I probably need a holiday!!!!

Helene you remind me so well why anger is sometimes necessary. THANK YOU.
xxx

here is where we can say anything qwe feel about this! words, images…i want to hear the noise! we all deserve to make some noise!

bouncy bouncy 48 posts

I do have to admit that some men are WAY behind the times, perhaps stuck in the 1950s or something. Products of their upbringing, biased by whatever attitudes have surrounded them and been reinforced by males in their lives, some men can be absolute sexists, even in today’s world where we can supposedly see things so much more clearly.I think there is still a lot of work to be done, both by us and by them.

One thing I hate particularly is being treated like a ‘pretty little nothing’ by anyone, but particularly by men. My intelligence has only been a focus when I have been overweight, but whenever I am thinner, I get talked to as if I am a powder puff. Seriously, I hate that! Ieanjoy looking good, but when I do, it seems like men think I am automatically ‘on the market’. Yet, when men look good, and dress nicely, nobody talks down to them as a general rule. Conversely, when I have been overweight, I become a ‘mother figure,’ to men, turned to for friendship or sage advice, but not given the love and acceptance I need. A catch 22 for sure.

I hate to be patronized, talked down to, belittled or typecast based on my appearance and gender. This has not only happened with men, but primarily so. When you see fine art, most of the time, women with perfect bodies are presented as still life objects, and heavier women are not usually presented, unless it is a means of criticism.

yes sarah…..tell it like it is

Cup of coffee
2, 3 maybe 8 cigarettes
Conversations with myself
Knowin what I would want to hear if someone other than me said it
but cannot even reply to my own conversation
Not an answer
Not a clue
Don’t know
Do know
Peekin behind my shoulder to look at that fuckin clock
tick
tock

Lightin another cigarette
Damn, gonna have to get to the store
need more cigarettes
Its only 9 am and a full pack is
almost
empty
….too….
“sighs”
Go to brush the coffee and nicotine off my teeth
damn, tube is almost empty
I squeeze it and squeeze it
a little comes out
Guess I gotta buy more of that too
I feel like this empty tube
Look in the mirror
Well, damn girl..it shows
it all shows
everything
shows
Fuck it
My hair is what it is
Put on my shoes
Out the door
Light another
cigarette
the last one
for
now
till
i
get
to
the
store

@ Sara – so well said!!! I know exactly what you mean. I feel a sense of real solidarity with this.

If anyone want to debate this without needing or wanting to scream please do so in the Cafe HERE

This thread is the forum to express the angry side of ourselves, – in safety, without being seen as big,fat,hairy man-haters.

Is it how the cards fall, or is it how we play those cards?

welll i a admit… i am a big fat hariy man hater lolololol

whew..that felt good! thank u anna!…going to have a nice hot cup of coffee.. and finish my painting…exhaling…………..

ROFL That’s what I meant with being me. Being angry is part of that. I get angry and I shout. I hate being talked down to because I am a woman and I then go on to proving that it’s not me who’s the idiot. However, what I’d like to is not bother with proving or justifying anything apart from that I am the right person for the job or that I am okay as I am.

Be as angry, hairy and big as you like. LOL xoxo

LMAO!!!!!! @Sybil! LOLOLOLyes, i am angry, hairy fat and big! YAYA!

H Maria Perry H Maria Perry 4305 posts

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

I am damned sick and tired of the sexism in American politics. When a woman runs for office much is made about her appearance, her hair, her makeup and the clothes she wears. How many times do you hear a word about a man’s clothes? You won’t hear “My oh my! I think that Speaker Boehner’s trousers are snug. Is it appropriate for him to show so much?” But you will hear about Hillary Clinton showing a bit of cleavage and idiot talk show hosts mocking Nancy Pelosi guessing whether she’s had botox. I call bullshit! It doesn’t help the cause of women’s equality when dumb asses like Michelle Bachmann get on the tee vee with her wild staring eyes and batshit crazy rhetoric. Or Sarah Palin making up words and winking and giggling like she’s still competing in a beauty pageant. I suppose I am more angry at women who contribute to gender stereotypes.

i agree helen! i know what u mean..so many women contribute to the stereotypes it is amazing…

@ Sybille – WTG!! Wonderful.

@ Helene – THANK YOU for suggesting this – I needed to go ‘whoosh’ so much.

@ Helen – what is happening in your country is mirrored here. It is all about how a women in power looks and nothing to do with their policies. They, ( the women) are equally constrained as we are here, and if they express anger they are finished. On all the reality shows ( Xfactor etc) which are shown before the 9.00pm deadline for non-sexual programmes, the women are being dressed in increasingly more sexual clothes and their talent is secondary to how the look.

I do not know Michelle Bachman – but I do know Sarah Palin and I want to scream when I see her too. What is even worse about SP is that she lies/hides the skeletons in her own cupboard.

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait