Nature Photography Challenge (wild creatures, plants and places only)

A regular photography contest for Nature lovers who love to learn and teach.

WHAT AM I - CHALLENGE 6

alienfunk alienfunk 391 posts

Long time no speak guys :+)

Anyway this one is a bit of a challenge/cop out. I have no idea what this flower/plant is and I’m guessing its not indigenous to the UK although the photo was taken here yesterday.

Themis Themis 3088 posts

Huh! And there I was, thinking that I missed all the ‘what am I’ challenges :-) And another ‘huh!’ – funny sort of flower, never seen anything like it, although it looks a bit like a tulip. Where was the picture taken? Scale?

No I haven’t forgotten about them, I keep racking my brains on what to stick on here. I might put a few flowers on though because they are quite hard to identify, I’m rubbish at it and it will also help me to learn about them. I do now know the id of this flower but if your still up for playing then heres some clues.

Its about the size of a plum the flower head and the stem is about 10-15cm tall. This was taken in the UK and it grows in colder climates it may even be just associated with the northern hemisphere although don’t quote me on that.

Themis Themis 3088 posts

I’ll try my best, but I’m not much good at things I haven’t seen… Does it smell? Is it wild or an artificial hybrid?

it didn’t smell when i took the photo, but that’s not to say it doesn’t smell inside the bell. This is a wild flower not a hybrid. Good luck. :+)

mssunshine mssunshine 107 posts

snakes head fritillary

Themis Themis 3088 posts

Huh! :-) Good to know, thanks!

Well done Sally ;+)

Themis Themis 3088 posts

Suggestion for future challenges: I usually forget to check the forum, but I have the latest on ‘Watch this topic’ – probably others do too. Would it be too much trouble to post on the last challenge completed a link to the new one? That way we get notified if we’re ‘watching’, and can easily got to the next one. Just a thought :-)

And yes, well done, Sally – I forgot to say :*-)

So what your saying is you want me to post the post the up and coming challenges at the bottom of the congratulations message for the closing challenge?

For these or for all the challenges?

Themis Themis 3088 posts

Only for the ‘What Am I?’ ones – new forum topics are not automatically sending out notifications, like the Group Messages and Challenges do. for the existing topics, we can choose to ‘watch this topic’, and we get notified when a new reply has been posted, so after the 6th one has been solved (like now), you could post as a ‘reply’ (below) the announcement of the puzzle number 7, with a link to it (that would be nice :-)). What do you think?

That sounds good to me or would you prefer it if we just carry the challenges on from here and stay on this page?

Themis Themis 3088 posts

Thanks :-) I think separate threads for each, like now, is a good way to have them (all nature is not a single Order, is it? :-))

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait