"""""MELBOURNE & VICTORIA"""""

*For Victorians or visitors who take pictures of this wonderful State & City. NO Frames, Clothing, No ipods, ipads, iphones, Cushions , bags Duvet covers or MUGS Nor stickers- Limit 3 per day & location must be added to all entries*

Melbourne & Victoria for Visitors

Faith Hunter Faith Hunter 73 posts

Tram no 1 or 8 from the city…………..
Each Peach in Lygon St for coffee and organic baked goodies
A Minor Place in Albion St for slow coffee, wine and tapas
a cheese pie from the A1 bakery in Sydney Rd
a gawk at the bridal shops in Sydney Rd
Balha’s Pastry in Sydney Rd for amazing lebanese pastries by the kilo!!!!!
and best of all a day trip to the Coburg Junkyards… but be sure to take a trailer with you.

AmandaWitt AmandaWitt 43468 posts

The market outside the ARts centre on a Sunday, and the St Kilda market – I bumped into the latter about a month ago and it was a great atmosphere.
There’s also the Meat Market arts/craft centre in Nth Melb.

Jo O'Brien Jo O'Brien 4616 posts

Galleries

ACMI
NGV
ACP
ACCA
fortyfive downstairs
seventh
BSG

artist run spaces and collectives

Jacqueline  Murphy Jacqueline Mu... 139 posts

If you are going near Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn – there is an ice cream shop opposite Hawthorn Grove called Cones . They have amazing “home made” ice cream.

manowski manowski 7 posts

Fitzroy:
Have a jug at the Black Cat on Brunswick St. Visit the Center for Contemporary Photography and The Brunswick Street Gallery and all the other galleries. Move on to Smith St and discover all the small shops along there, like the lost & found market. And def. have a fruit juice at the turkish shops …. it’s sooo good (and cheap)!!!! Play some free pool or table tennis at the Panama Loung. Hm … heaps of stuff to do here!

Otherwise go to the Collingwood Childrens Fram in Abbotsford to have a coffee and than take a bike ride along the river up to Ceres in Brunswick East to have anotehr one.

AmandaWitt AmandaWitt 43468 posts

While you’re at the Collingwood children’s farm, go a few steps across the road to the former Abbotsford convent, which is now an arts centre, and there’s a cafe, and nice gardens to walk around.
Walk along the Yarra river paths, go to the Dight’s falls, see the remains of the former mill that was there.

Nigel Roulston Nigel Roulston 3 posts

It’s always good to wander the laneways in the CBD (they also supply some great settings for the odd photo if that’s your thing). This self-guided tour from vic tourism isn’t a bad place to start – Melbourne Laneway Tour
Of course as anyone who’s ever wandered around the laneways can tell you – you will never follow the route they describe, you will always be distracted by something, but that’s half the fun.

There’s also a podcast that you can use with it, but I thought it was a bit retaily (probably why it’s free), but if a bit of retail therapy is what you’re after then why not!

Pip Gerard Pip Gerard 966 posts

For those spots outside the city….

My parents were from Sydney… and moved down here to Melbourne before I was born. Because of this…. I grew up seeing so many incredible Victorian sites that I don’t think I would have seen if they’d not moved here from Sydney.
Of course.. .now they’re loud and proud Victorianites. I have the most incredible memories of childhood and all the great places we went to. Here’s a list of my most favourite memories (the places we went to many times) I plan to take my son to all these places… in fact we’ve already been to a few:

- William Ricketts Sanctuary (this is my top choice of places to send visitors especially overseas ones because it’s a little known treasure within the Dandenongs!! If you’re a Victorian and an artist…. you simply must see this place… I recommend having a Devonshire tea (great scones!) afterwards and taking photos Brochure

- Puffing Billy and Emerald Park (was there just last week!) http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

- The Dandenongs (when I was about 11 or 12 I seriously wanted to grow up to live in the Dandenongs!! There was something mysterious and romantic about it. The Black Spur especially!) http://www.bluedandenongs.com.au/sites/dr_alliance/content/pbr/drapbr21.html

- Hanging Rock (went there first time when I was quite young after watching the movie… My brothers and sister and I were scared out of my mind… LOVED IT!!!) http://www.hangingrock.info

- Fairy Land – Think…. something along the lines of Myer Windows up on a very big hill out in the middle of nowhere. Has a great barbecue and picnic area… huge playground for the kids, cafe and model trains at the summit. You walk the track, press the buttons to watch all the fairytales come to life. Very young toddlers and kids really love it! Built by one German man and his family (went there a lot growing up. A few times we caught the Sorrento Fairy to Queenscliff and then drove from there… As a child this place was magical! Took my son there last year and he had a fantastic time!) http://www.fairypark.com/

- London Bridge Blairgowrie (looks small in the photo) http://www.virtualsorrento.com.au/parks_walks/farnsworth_track/Slide4.htm

- Old Melbourne Gaol (another that scared the bejeebies out of me as a kid… LOVED IT). I’ve become a big Kelly fan the more I know about them. Have been to Glenrowen too where they have this kinda freaky and quirky little show on that re-enacts the Kelly Gang showdown (looks like it’s been upgraded alot since I went though – KELLY LAND)… both very worthy visits… especially if a Ned fan. http://www.oldmelbournegaol.com.au/
Glenrowan

Jacqueline  Murphy Jacqueline Mu... 139 posts

I went on the Southern Star Wheel down at Docklands last night and it was worth going on it. We caught the sunset which was great and the views are impressive. http://www.thesouthernstar.com.au/

Andrew Paranavitana Andrew Paranav... 769 posts

great place for dinner: Cookie, 252 Swanston Street, Melbourne. Level 2 of the Curtain House Building, after dinner, head upstairs to The Toff In Town for a drink and possibly some great live music.

In summer time, head up to the rooftop level for an outdoor cinema, surrounded by Melbourne’s skyscrapers.

Cookie

The Toff

Rooftop Cinema

There’s also a great little outdoor bar off Little Collins Street called Section8. Grungy and minimal, but great fun.

Section8

All the places I’ve listed are great for a little inspiration, with plenty of photographic opportunities within.

Redneck Redneck 11 posts

There are alot of places on the Warburton Highway side of the Yarra Valley. 20 mins from Yarra Junction is Nojee Trestle Bridge, in Powelltown is the Ada Tree. In Warburton there are alot of great shops. Also up Mount Donna Buang about halfway to the summit is the Rainforest Gallery with its Walkway, it is absolutely beautiful here, then of course you head up to the summit and in Winter you have a some tobogganing (sp?) snow and in summer spectacular views!

The Warrantina Lavender Farm in Wandin, Rayner’s Stonefruit Orchard in Woori Yallock, Blue Lotus Water Lily farm in Yarra Junction. All these businesses cater to tourists. Not to mention all the wineries as well as the Hot air balloons out of Seville.

Well that’s enough of me plugging my little section of the state!

Cheers

Aisha Diandra Aisha Diandra 14 posts

glad I stumbled onto this. I just moved to Melbourne and am pretty lost..

bellmusker bellmusker 1259 posts

Even I get tips from this, Aisha, and I’m Melbourne born and bred :-)

You should definitely keep an eye on these forums for details of Melbourne bubbler meetings – this group is probably the most active and event-based of the RB groups. Always something happening!

dynamicdrawing dynamicdrawing 3 posts

Feel like drawing while you’re in Melbourne? Come along to Dynamic Drawing at the Brunswick Street Gallery, 322 Brunswick St, Fitzroy – classes held Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6.30-8.30pm and Saturday mornings 10am-12noon. We have butchers paper and charcoal available. Cost $18 – just drop in, no need to book. We have a model, great music and facilitation – free up, discover your creative identity and find your power through drawing! Everyone welcome (under 16yrs can come with a parent).

caroline ellis caroline ellis 19 posts

http://www.redbubble.com/people/carolineellis/a...
Visit my Gallery at Lake Boga.

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait