Fine Art Digital Painters

This group requires a hosting team. If you are interested in hosting this group, you can find out more here : http://support.redbubble.com/kb/advanced/applying-to-host-a-group

4-27-11 FEATURES AND BASIC EXPLANATION OF DIGITAL PAINTING

pat gamwell pat gamwell 1179 posts

THANK YOU, James Sheperd for your explanation and examples of DIGITAL PAINTING. It is a unique art and your images are a prime example!

The first impressionists took advantage of the introduction of premixed paints in tubes where paint is laid on an area of the surface very thickly, usually thickly enough that the brush or painting-knife strokes are visible.
Characteristics of impressionist paintings include visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on light in its changing qualities effecting colour, the inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception, and unusual visual angles.
Short, thick strokes of paint are used to quickly capture the essence of the subject, rather than its details. The paint is often applied impasto.
Colours are applied side-by-side with as little mixing as possible, creating a vibrant surface. The optical mixing of colours occurs in the eye of the viewer.

My form of impressionism starts with digital photography and I then develop this into my own art form and exploit the aspects of the digital painting medium embracing and showing the painterly aspect, rather than trying to hide the act of creation.
My work is hand painted digital painting and is an emerging art form in which traditional painting techniques such as watercolor, oils, etc. are applied using digital tools by means of a computer, a digitizing tablet and stylus, and software. Digital painting differs from other forms of digital art, particularly computer-generated art, in that it does not involve the computer rendering from a model. The artist uses painting techniques to create the digital painting directly on the computer.
I create the painting, directly on my PC, by using a Wacom tablet, a stylus pen and ArtRage painting software. The Wacom tablet can be compared to a canvas or watercolor paper surface. The stylus pen is my paintbrush.

Characteristics of impressionist paintings include visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on light in its changing qualities effecting colour, and unusual visual angles.

Brush techniques include:- oil brush, which I have set up to different settings of pressure, paint loading and thinner levels, the four main brushes being: 100% 80% 0% (25% brush size), 100% 36% 0% (20% brush size), 30% 12% 0% (4% to 10% brush size) and 80% 80% 10%, (50% brush size) and also customized as required in both square and round brush. Paint tube, mainly for background work. Soft tip pencil at 50% pressure is used for perspective and detail sketches. Palette knife set to many varying levels of pressure and knife size, four main settings: 7% (12% size), 5% (15% size), 15% (20% size), 100% (30% size). Airbrush, used only for shading work. Brush strokes are often visible in my work.
Painting technique – As with traditional oil painter’s, digital oil from the pallet flows from the brush in your hand, combined with your eye, brush pressure, strokes and colour, which then is a developing study on the canvas. Normal size for working is between 50% and 75%. Between 10 and 15 layers normally used.
Please read my journal entry “Basic explanation of my hand painted digital oils” for further information.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all for creating these beautiful DIGITAL PAINTINGS !!

FYI: All above paintings were created on a computer with a paint software as their PAINT & EASEL and an electronic tablet & hand-held penas their HAND-HELD BRUSHES. Photos may be used as reference only.

Enjoy & Have Fun Painting!
Pat

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait