12 Great Features - Challenge Themes ONLY *(CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT)*

Submit your image into the challenges for a chance to be featured!

Recent posts in 'Games Room'

Displaying Posts 1 - 50 of 109 in total

Jul 4, 2009
Donna Adamski Donna Adamski 837 posts

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 11 & 12

The rules have changed a bit so please read them carefully

How to Play – Rules
1. Your answer MUST contain the following information: Question # and correct answer, a link to where you found the answer or “I knew that one” or “my family/friend told me,” etc., and the date and time (ex. June 6, 4:30pm EDT) of your e-mail sent. Date and time only needs to be listed once after the last answer, the time just before you press the send button!! We want to see links to understand why the answer was incorrect and to make any changes necessary to avoid this.
2. Please only submit one answer per question. Read the questions carefully and don’t assume a search will lead you to the correct answer….double check KEYWORDS.
3.Two questions from random categories will be posted daily for six days at various times (due to the different time zones), each in a new post, Monday through Saturday.
4. All information in rule #1 must be included in your e-mail or your answers will be disqualified.
5. All 12 answers must be e-mailed to triviachallenge@yahoo.com no later than 10:00pm EDT USA on each Sunday. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please send ONLY one e-mail with all 12 answers + bonus question answers.
6. Now adding a bonus question for extra points, if needed! These will go toward any incorrect answers. You will need 3 correctly answered bonus questions to equal 1 challenge question.
7. Please use Game (#) as subject line.
8. Have fun!!

Question 11
Category/sub-category – History – World Happenings – History Mix

What beverage was consumed in greater quantities in London between 1680 and 1730 than any place else on earth?

Question 12
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure – World of Sports – Sports Records

Who holds the record, as of 2007, for most three point shots made during an NBA career?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What equine sidekick lent his name and pessimistic attitude to a Gloomy Little Instruction Book, in 1996?

Do NOT post your answers here – Please refer to rule 5 above.

Jul 3, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 9 & 10

How to Play – Rules
1. Your answer MUST contain the following information: Question # and correct answer, a link to where you found the answer or “I knew that one” or “my family/friend told me,” etc., and the date and time (ex. June 6, 4:30pm EDT) of your e-mail sent. Date and time only needs to be listed once after the last answer, the time just before you press the send button!! We want to see links to understand why the answer was incorrect and to make any changes necessary to avoid this.
2. Please only submit one answer per question. Read the questions carefully and don’t assume a search will lead you to the correct answer….double check KEYWORDS.
3.Two questions from random categories will be posted daily for six days at various times (due to the different time zones), each in a new post, Monday through Saturday.
4. All information in rule #1 must be included in your e-mail or your answers will be disqualified.
5. All 12 answers must be e-mailed to triviachallenge@yahoo.com no later than 10:00pm EDT USA on each Sunday. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please send ONLY one e-mail with all 12 answers + bonus question answers.
6. Now adding a bonus question for extra points, if needed! These will go toward any incorrect answers. You will need 3 correctly answered bonus questions to equal 1 challenge question.
8. Have fun!!

Question 9
Category/sub-category – People & Places – World Travel – People & Cultures of the World

What country’s head of state lives in a house once occupied by Robert Louis Stevenson?

Question 10
Category/sub-category – Wild

What’s most often injected into fried chicken to make it plump for ads?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What’s the English term for the convenience known to foreign air travelers as spuckbeutel and torba chorobowa?

Jul 2, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 7 & 8

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 7
Category/sub-category – Entertainment – Movies – Movie Mix

What German husky-voiced actress became a U. S. citizen in 1939 after refusing requests to produce pro-Nazi films?

Question 8
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – Science of the Mind & Body

What epileptic author in an epic novel of three brothers gave the character Smerdyakov the same illness?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What future U.S. President was known to his Duke classmates as “Gloomy Gus”?

Jul 1, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 5 & 6

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 5
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure – A Good Read – Bestsellers

What is the subject of the non-fiction bestseller Eats, Shoots & Leaves?

Question 6
Category/sub-category – People & Places – Myth & Legends – Fables, Folklore & Urban Legends

What retailer only started selling chocolate chip cookies after an urban legend claimed it overcharged somebody who asked for the recipe?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What big-top act did circus star Jon Weiss liken to having a car hit you from behind at 65 mph?

Jun 30, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 3 & 4

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 3
Category/sub-category – Entertainment – Movies – Comedic Movies

What movie featured cameos by Snow White, Yosemite Sam and Droopy?

Question 4

What astronomical feature did the Vikings believe to be the pathway to Valhalla?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What South American nation’s 320,000 Avon ladies outnumber soldiers by a 5-to-2 ratio?

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 4 - Questions 1 & 2

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 1
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – General Nature – Mother Nature Mix

Which state contains the geographic center of the U. S. as of 1959, swiping the title from Kansas?

Question 2
Category/sub-category – History – Art – Mixed Media Art

What muralist started wall painting as a kid when his encouraging dad covered his bedrooms walls with canvas?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

How many of every 10 U. S. homes had been equipped with a flush toilet by 1900?

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Standings

Here’s the standings for Game 3 – CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!

Only two members responded with all 12 + bonus questions answered.

1 member had 12 of 12 questions correct and 6 of 6 bonus questions correct = 15 correct
1 member had 11 of 12 questions correct and 6 of 6 bonus questions correct = 14 correct

The WINNERS are Laura Kelk and Janine Hewlett. Let’s hear it for our Trivia Challenge winners. WooooHooooo!
Please BM me with your pics for the Spotlight….Congrats and thank you for playing.

Trivia Challenge – Game 3 Answers

1. M & Ms
2. Vic
Bonus – Courtney Love
3. Jean-Michel Basquiat
4. Thailand
Bonus – Fireworks
5. American Graffiti
6. Macaroni & Cheese
Bonus – Drowning
7. Bedouin
8. Nine-banded Armadillo
Bonus – Voltaire
9. Second Watch
10. Fritz the Cat
Bonus – Whistling
11. Garlic
12. Roy Emerson
Bonus – Cafe Wha?

Thinking about having a LIVE Trivia Challenge Showdown after a few more games between the top winners….LIVE in the forums and scheduled to fit everyone’s time frame. More to come on this at a later date.

Game 4 questions to be posted tomorrow June 29.

Doreen & Donna

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 11 & 12

Correct answers:

11. Garlic
12. Roy Emerson
Bonus – Cafe Wha?

6/28/09 @ 11:23pm EDT USA

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 9 & 10

Correct answers:

9. Second Watch
10. Fritz the Cat
Bonus – Whistling

6/28/09 @ 11:22pm EDT USA

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 7 & 8

Correct answers:

7. Bedouin
8. Nine-banded Armadillo
Bonus – Voltaire

6/28/09 @ 11:21pm EDT USA

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 5 & 6

Correct answers:

5. American Graffiti
6. Macaroni & Cheese
Bonus – Drowning

6/28/09 @ 11:20pm EDT USA

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 3 & 4

Correct answers:

3. Jean-Michel Basquiat
4. Thailand
Bonus – Fireworks

6/28/09 @ 11:19pm EDT USA

Jun 29, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 1 & 2

Correct answers:

1. M & Ms
2. Vic
Bonus – Courtney Love

6/28/09 @ 11:18pm EDT USA

Jun 27, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 11 & 12

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 11

What powerful herb did Popeye claim his ancestor Hercules snorted to get a burst of strength?

*Question 12
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure -World of Sports – Sports Records *

Who is the only male player to have won singles and doubles titles at all four Grand Slam tournaments?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What Greenwich Village hot spot featured musicians such as Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix?

Jun 26, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 9 & 10

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 9
Category/sub-category – History – Fads & Fashions – Fads & Fashions of the 80s

What is Swatch an abbreviation of?

Question 10
Category/sub-category – Entertainment – Movies – Comedic Movies

What 1972 adult animated film, based on a hair-raising college student, originally received an X rating?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What activity is taught at Oklahoma’s annual Pucker ama festival in hand, finger flute, and roof styles?

Jun 25, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 7 & 8

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 7
Category/sub-category – People & Places – People & Cultures of the World

What desert dwellers use the bisha’a or ordeal by fire, as a system of truth detection?

Question 8
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – Land Animals

What Lone Star creature is the only mammal to always give birth to identical quadruplets?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What “Age of Reason” philosopher kept alert by routinely slamming back 50 cups of coffee a day?

Jun 25, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 5 & 6

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 5
Category/sub-category – Entertainment – Movies – Movie Mix

What was the first George Lucas film to cast Harrison Ford?

Question 6

What easy entree do Canadians refer to as Kraft Dinner, KD or “rubber bullets”?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What did a superstitious sailor guard against, by having a pig and rooster tattooed on his feet?

Jun 23, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Standings

Congratulations to the WINNERS!!

Janine Hewlett
Laura Kelk
Anne-Marie Bokslag

Jun 23, 2009

OK all three players will get the Spotlight….Thanks ladies :)

Game 3 – Questions 3 & 4 have been posted.

Jun 23, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 3 & 4

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 3
Category/sub-category – History – Arts – Artists

What artist bad boy wins the most expensive work clothes award by painting in $1,000 Armani suits?

Question 4
Category/sub-category – People & Places – Notable People – Famous Quotes & Speeches

What country was a very polite coup leader in when he said in 2006, “We ask for the cooperation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience”?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What dazzling displays can contain palms, chrysanthemums, serpentines and ring shells?

Jun 23, 2009
Janine  Hewlett Janine Hewlett 88 posts

I think calling it a tie would be fine…

Jun 23, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 3 - Questions 1 & 2

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 1
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure – Food & Drink – Culinary Indulgences

Which chocolate candy was chosen in 1981 by the first shuttle astronauts as part of their food supply?

Question 2
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – Mother Nature – Land Animals

What was the name of the Qantas koala that hosted an online travel giveaway in 2006?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What rock siren’s Pomeranian chocked to death on a breast implant it found lying around the house?

Jun 23, 2009

Thank you Laura….still no word about the Spotlight feature….what do you think?

I’ll start Game3 and see where it goes from there….:)

edit BTW – the Spotlight feature is any of your work that you want from your gallery !! Let me know!

Jun 22, 2009
Laura Kelk Laura Kelk 14 posts

I enjoyed it – thank you. x

Jun 22, 2009

WOW!! Thank you for playing and we hope you enjoyed this round of questions. I am sad to say that there was less participation than in Game 1. So, we are asking for feedback…..

Do you wish to continue with Game 3?
Any suggestions on how to make it more fun?
Should we post all 12 questions at once and you submit your answers within 48 hours? More time or less time?
Submit answers in the question post or e-mail?

Here’s the standings for Game 2 – CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL 3 OF YOU!!!

Only three members responded with all 12 + bonus questions answered.

1 member had 12 of 12 questions correct and 11 of 12 bonus questions correct = 15 correct
1 member had 12 of 12 questions correct and 10 of 12 bonus questions correct = 15 correct
1 member had 11 of 12 questions correct and 11 of 12 bonus questions correct = 14 correct

So technically, all 3 are winners. Now, to do a challenge for 3 don’t seem feasible, and really if you go by the numbers there is one that really did a bit better with 12 of 12 and 11 of 12. Do you want to call them the winner? Or and you can be a bit selfish, and just call it a tie and have a tie-breaker or, even better, you all get the Spotlight feature according to placement? Think about it and post your answers and suggestions here.

Trivia Challenge – Game 2 Answers

1. Egyptians
2. Anna Pavlova
Bonus – Sherlock Holmes
3. Doctor Dolittle
4. Mohawks
Bonus – Lumberjack
5. O. J. Simpson
6. Jai Alai
Bonus – Michael Eisner
7. Honda
8. Costa Rica
Bonus – Animators/cartoonist
9. Prince Philip
10. Charles Manson
Bonus – William Shakespeare
11. Dim Sum
12. Frank Gehry’s
Bonus – Charles Lindbergh

Thanks for playing and let us know what you think here….I would like to do the Spotlight no later than Monday (tomorrow) my time.

Doreen & Donna

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 11 & 12

Correct answers:

11. Dim Sum
12. Frank Gehry’s
Bonus – Charles Lindbergh

6/21/09 @ 10:56pm EDT USA

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 9 & 10

Correct answers:

9. Prince Philip
10.Charles Manson
Bonus – William Shakespeare

6/21/09 @ 10:55pm EDT USA

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 7 & 8

Correct answers:

7. Honda
8. Costa Rica
Bonus – Animators

6/21/09 @ 10:50pm EDT USA

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 5 & 6

Correct answers:

5. O. J. Simpson
6. Jai Alai
Bonus – Michael Eisner

6/21/09 @ 10:49pm EDT USA

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 3 & 4

Correct answers:

3. Doctor Dolittle
4. Mohawks
Bonus – Lumberjack

6/21/09 @ 10:44pm EDT USA

Jun 22, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 1 & 2

Correct answers:

1. Egyptians
2. Anna Pavlova
Bonus – Sherlock Holmes

6/21/09 @ 10:42pm EDT USA

Jun 20, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 11 & 12

How to Play – Rules
1. Your answer MUST contain the following information: Question # and correct answer, a link to where you found the answer or “I knew that one” or “my family/friend told me,” etc., and the date and time (ex. June 6, 4:30pm EDT) of your e-mail sent.
4. All information in rule #1 must be included or your answers will be disqualified.
5. All 12 answers must be e-mailed to triviachallenge@yahoo.com no later than 10:00pm EDT USA on each Sunday. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please ONLY send one e-mail with all 12 answers + bonus question answers.
8. Have fun!!

Last 2 questions for Game 2 – Send one e-mail with answers to all 12 questions + bonus questions to triviachallenge@yahoo.com

Question 11
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure – Chic & Strange Food Selections

What name is given to a Chinese meal usually consisting of dumplings served in steamed baskets accompanied by tea?

Question 12

What architect’s designs did pundit Hal Foster say “look as though they could be broken into with a can opener”?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What celebrated aviator was buried beneath a Java plum tree in Kipahulu, Maui?

Jun 20, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game Rules

Yes, you only need to add it as a separate line below your answers in the e-mail….no need for it on each question. :)

Jun 20, 2009
Anne-Marie Bokslag Anne-Marie Bok... 624 posts

So, if I got it right, it is ok to mention the date and time I sent the e-mail once, at the end of the mail?

Jun 19, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 9 & 10

How to Play – Rules
1. Your answer MUST contain the following information: Question # and correct answer, a link to where you found the answer or “I knew that one” or “my family/friend told me,” etc., and the date and time (ex. June 6, 4:30pm EDT) of your e-mail sent.
4. All information in rule #1 must be included or your answers will be disqualified.
5. All 12 answers must be e-mailed to triviachallenge@yahoo.com no later than 10:00pm EDT USA on each Sunday. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please ONLY send one e-mail with all 12 answers + bonus question answers.
8. Have fun!!

Question 9
Category/sub-category – History – World Happenings

What oblivious British royal startled Australian aboriginal elders in 2002 by asking “Do you still throw spears at each other”?

Question 10
Category/sub-category – Entertainment – Music – Music of the 60’s

What infamous murderer wrote Never Learn Not to Love for the Beach Boys?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What famed author’s only surviving handwriting samples are six signatures, and the words “by me”?

Jun 18, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 7 & 8

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 7
Category/sub-category – People & Places – Exotic Adventures – Adventures in Transportation

What Asian car maker advertised that better gas mileage was “a civic responsibility”?

Question 8
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – Mother Nature – Nature of the Land & Sea

What country’s Atlantic and Pacific coasts can you see from the top of Mount Irazu, at least on a clear day?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What artists often work their way up as “cel washers” and “in-betweeners”?

Jun 18, 2009

The point behind the date and time is the first 12 to answer correctly, so we need to know when you submit your answers and any answers submitted after the closing time of 10:00pm on Sundays will be disqualified. And any who may try to get by that rule, the yahoo mail dates and times will be used.:)

Jun 17, 2009
Anne-Marie Bokslag Anne-Marie Bok... 624 posts

Hi Donna, I don’t understand the and the date and time (ex. June 6, 4:30pm EDT) of your e-mail sent in Rule # 1.

According to How do I submit my answers? we have to submit all answers in one e-mail. So what is the point in add the date and time of the e-mail sent to every question?

Btw, great game! Anne-Marie

Jun 17, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 5 & 6

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 5
Category/sub-category – Sports & Leisure – World of Sports – Sports Records

Which NFL running back became the first to surpass 2,000 yards in one season?

Question 6

What pasttime did Earnest Hemmingway praise as “manly effort taken to the utmost limits”?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What media mogul bore an “eerie resemblance” to his worldwide firm’s omnipresent mascot, according to Vanity Fair?

Jun 16, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 3 & 4

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 3
Category/sub-category – Science & Nature – Mother Nature – Land Animals

What was the last flick that Cheetah, the chimp from Tarzan movies, appeared in before retiring in 1967?

Question 4
Category/sub-category – History – Fads & Fashions of the 50’s

What haircut, more closely associated with punk, did the 101st Airborne Division wear when it jumped out of planes over France in WWII?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What occupation was ranked the lowest in the 2002 edition of the Jobs Rated Almanac?

Jun 16, 2009

Most everyone loves trivia, I know I do. So here we will play Trivial Pursuit according to the basic guidelines of the board game.

Q&A
Who can play?
Anyone who is a member of the 12 Great Features group, of course!
What does the winner receive? Trivia Winner Spotlight of the Week on the group’s home page – determined via a challenge. (No nudity or SF). Anyone that would like to contribute new/other prizes, please BM me.
How is the winner determined? The first 12 members to answer correctly two questions in each category – 12 questions (12 Great Features). A challenge will then be launched for ONLY those 12 to determine the overall winner for the Spotlight feature. (This may change with your input and suggestions. Still working out the kinks!)
What are the Categories? Geography, Entertainment, History, Art & Literature, Science & Nature, Sports & Leisure, Wild (could be any subject), People & Places, plus some new sub-categories.
How much time will I have? You will have one week to answer all the questions. Two questions from random categories will be posted daily for six days at various times (due to the different time zones). Game will be posted, 2 per day, Monday through Saturday, and end on the following Sunday at 10:00pm EDT (my time).
How do I submit my answers? Answers to all 12 questions + bonus questions will now be submitted all at once via e-mail to triviachallenge@yahoo.com.

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Any suggestions are welcome to enhance your enjoyment of the game.

Jun 15, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 2 - Questions 1 & 2

How to Play – Rules
8. Have fun!!

Question 1
Category/sub-category – People & Places – Fables, Folklore & Urban Legends

What ancient people imagined a soul that included a ka that stayed with the body and a ba that goes to the afterworld?

Question 2
Category/sub-category – Entertainment

What Russian ballerina, choosing death over career-ending surgery, uttered the last words: “Get my swan costume ready”?

Bonus Question
Category – Wild

What detective became the first fictional character to receive an Honorary Fellowship from Britain’s Royal Society of Chemistry?

Jun 15, 2009
Janine  Hewlett Janine Hewlett 88 posts

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 1 - Standings

No problem here. Whatever you decide…

Jun 15, 2009

Topic: Games Room / Trivia Challenge - Game 1 - Standings

The final results are in and the winner is………..

First the final results based on the number of questions each player has answered so far. Some may not have answers all questions.

1 member has 11 of 12 correct
1 member has 10 of 12 correct
2 members have 9 of 12 correct
1 member has 8 of 12 correct
2 members have 3 of 12 correct
4 members have 2 of 12 correct
1 member has 1 of 12 correct

We only had 12 members that played and they didn’t answer all 12 questions. So out of the 4 members who did answer all 12, there was only 1 that had the most correct. To be most fair, since this is the first game and participation was lacking, we will let be them be the Trivia Challenge Spotlight of the Week.

Is this OK with all of you? I won’t announce the winner yet until I hear from you. So please let us know.

Oh, I suppose you want to know the correct answers!!! Here they are in order.

1. Hiroshima
2. Double Doody
3. The Suez Canal
4. A hot Saharan wind
5. F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. Fishing
7. Saliva
8. Fannie Farmer
9. Old Bailey
10. Lech Walesa
11. The Academy Awards
12. Volkswagen Beetle