At the end of Kolostor utca (street) in Sopron there is the Fő Tér (Main Square) with small restaurants, old churches (Goat Church), fire watch tower and Gambrinus house (western Hungary).
The Roman Catholic Kecsketemplom (Goat Church) was constructed in 1280 in an early Gothic style from Szentmargita dressed stone. Its spire originates from the 14th century while the nave’s vault and the organ loft were built in the mid-15th century. The furnishings are Baroque.
It was dedicated to the Hungarian’s most loved and ancient Nagyboldogasszony (Assumption of Our Lady). It has a 47 metre tower with a facade ornamented by Gothic wreaths and a goat, marking the popular and more well-known name of this sanctuary built in the 13th century and maintained first by Franciscan, then by Benedictine monks. This is not the only depiction here of the goat which originates from the coat of arms of the commissioning Geisel family. Oral tradition has it that the church was erected from treasure discovered by a goat.
As for architectural style, the church belongs to several periods. The vivid corbels with their foliage ornamentation or bulky human heads, the beautiful vault and the graceful stone tracery represent the Middle Ages, while underneath the Gothic net vault the altar ornamented with numerous statues reflects an 18th-century taste and way of life.
On five occasions a diet was held at Goat Church, in 1553, 1622, 1625, 1635 and 1681, and it served as a coronation church in three instances: in 1622 and in 1681 the queen of the time was crowned there and in 1625 Ferdinand III, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary.