Featured in Which Way – Main Subject displaying walks, paths, stairs, roads, rails Group (11/07/2011)
In the Vajdahunyadi castle in Erdély (Transylvania) in today’s Romania.
The first small fortress was built here by Vajk after 1409. The large castle was then built by his son Hunyadi János who lived here with his wife, Szilágyi Erzsébet.
The castle then went through two major periods of rebuilding by hungarian nobble families (Bethlen Gábor and later Zólyomi Dávidné in the 17th century).
For army purposes the castle was used again in 1784 as the base against the Horea rebels.
After the Hungarian revolution against the Habsburgs in 1848 the castle was used as the county office.
Its reconstruction, interrupted by fires, finally recommenced in 1868 thanks to great efforts of Arányi Lajos.
Since 1920, when Hungary lost huge territories and with them Erdély (Transylvania), castle resides within today’s borders of Romania and is still being reconstructed.
Location: Vajdahunyad (Hunedoara, Eisenmarkt), today’s Romania