A digital painting using colourful in DAP of The New Bridge at Bathwick, Bath, England 1830. Original out of copyright engraving by FP Hay, hand watercoloured on print.
Cleveland Bridge was built in 18263 by William Hazledine (Coalbrookdale Ironworks) with Henry Goodridge as the architect, on the site of a Roman ferry crossing. Named after the 3rd Duke of Cleveland, it spans the River Avon at Bathwick, and enabled further development of Georgian Bath to take place on the south side of the river. It was designed by architect Henry Goodridge to take the traffic of his day, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians, and was constructed using the warm golden Bath Stone and an elegant cast iron arched span.