A digital impressionist painting using Whistler’s Rainbow in DAP of Allonby, Cumberland, England, of an out of copyright, black & white Gutenburg image.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allonby like this:
ALLONBY, a seaport village, a chapelry, and a township, in Bromfield parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a wide open bay of its own name opposite Rigg light-vessel, 2½ miles N of Bull Gill r. station, and 6 NNE of Maryport. It has a post office under Maryport; and it carries on a fishing trade, and is a summer resort for sea-bathing. It was the birthplace of the distinguished hydrographer, Huddart, who died in 1816. The chapelry includes the village. Pop. in 1851, 749. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94.* Patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. There are a Quaker’s meeting-house and a slightly endowed school.-The township includes West Newton, and bears the name of West Newton and Allonby. Acres, 1,794; of Which 573 are water. Real property, £5,627,-of which £2,423 are in West Newton. Pop., 1,002. Houses, 252.