1584 views at 20/02/2015
A digital painting using colourful in DAP of The New Bridge at Bathwick, Bath, England 1830. Original out of copyright engraving by FP Hay, hand watercoloured on print.
Cleveland Bridge was built in 1826 by William Hazledine (Coalbrookdale Ironworks) with Henry Goodridge as the architect, on the site of a Roman ferry crossing. Named after the 3rd Duke of Cleveland, it spans the River Avon at Bathwick, and enabled further development of Georgian Bath to take place on the south side of the river. It was designed by architect Henry Goodridge to take the traffic of his day, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians, and was constructed using the warm golden Bath Stone and an elegant cast iron arched span.
‘The New Bridge at Bathwick’ (1830 engraving by FP Hay)
A toll house was required to charge users of the bridge for the privilege of crossing. Rather than building merely one, Goodridge decided to install four — one on each corner — in order to maintain the absolute symmetry of his elegant neoclassical design.