A digital painting, using Bob Ross in DAP, of Carisbrooke Castle. 1672 views on 19/04/2014
The original photograph is a PD image from wikimedia and the information is derived from the official Carisbrooke Castle website.
There has been a fortress at Carisbrooke since at least Saxon times, but the present castle was begun in about 1100, when the Isle of Wight was granted to the de Redvers family. They built the great stone shell-keep on its towering mound, and after 1262 the formidable Countess Isabella de Redvers extensively rebuilt the whole stronghold. Following the addition of its double-towered 14th-century gatehouse, Carisbrooke experienced its only serious siege in 1377, beating off a French raiding force.