This is a digital painting of Burgh le Marsh Windmill, created with the aid of Lautrec AOP in DAP and FastStone.
The information is derived from Wikipedia and the original photograph is used with the kind permission of Paul Hatton.
As a child Skegness was one of our ‘Seaside’ pleasures and the surrounding area, including the windmills was a treat for us to enjoy.
Tarred Dobson’s Mill, built in 1813 by Sam Oxley is unusual in being the only left-handed tower mill having five sails. “Left-handed sails” mean they rotate clockwise when viewed from the front – a very rare type of windmill.
The town is built on a large hill surrounded by former marsh land, and the marsh influenced the town’s name, Burgh Le Marsh. Both the windmill and church are visible from far distances. A Roman road passes through the town on the way to Skegness, and the town is on the site of a former Roman fort.
Near the parish church is a large mound, where Saxon burial remains were found during the 1930s.