Views 1284 Features 8 Favourites 7 top Ten 1
At the end of the Chilkoot Trail [at Bennett in an isolated corner of British Columbia] from Alaska to the Yukon which brought thousands to the Klondike Gold Rush. In 1998 on the 100th Anniversary of the great rush the Canadian and American governments signed a joint declaration creating the Klondike Gold Rush International Historical Park
Reverends Andrew Grant and A.J. Sinclair arrived in Skagway in 1898, just in time to bury Soapy Smith and Frank Reid. Grant and Sinclair went on to Lake Bennett, where they erected a church from the scraps of whipsawed spruce slabs and lumber left over from the boat building activities of the stampeders on their way to the Klondike. Stained glass, hand blown, and donated by a church in Victoria, B.C. was cut to manageable dimensions and carefully packed over the Chilkoot trail. These were fitted into the church windows in solid squares, as there was no one skilled in the art of glass cutting in town.
By the time the Church was completed in 1901, the town of Bennett had outlived its usefulness at the head of navigation to the Yukon River. The WhitePass Railway had been completed all the way to the new jumping off place at Whitehorse. There never was a service conducted inside the building even though it was used as a shelter for the weary or ill. As the houses and businesses of Bennett were torn down or moved to other locations, the Church has stood in all its glory on the shores of the Lake, alone in the wilderness, a stop of interest for train travelers or hikers. Within the international Gold Rush Park. Taken June1, 2009
FujiS5Pro with 28-300 @ 46mm
Sept 5 2012 Northern Landscape Group