Christian Churches, Statues & Crosses
Exterior Church Windows – Windows and Doors
Windows – Preserving History
The English Presbyterian Church, Castle Square Caernarfon was built in 1882/3 to the design of Richard Owen of Liverpool. The spire was later repaired in 1893 and 1962, and the roof was relaid in 1974. The chapel is in the Gothic style, built from coursed rock-faced yellow sandstone, with a slate roof behind coped gables. To the right of the gable entrance is a three-stage tower and spire, while to the left there is a two-storey porch with a steep hipped roof. To the central bay of the chapel front, there are four small lancets lighting the vestibule, and three lanets lighting the main chapel, with clustered shafts and foliage capitals. These are topped by an arcaded frieze, with a cusped roundel to the gable. To the left of the gable is an angle buttress with polygonal turret.
The chapel interior is well-preserved, with decorative tiled floors in the porch and vestibule, and a five-bay arched-brace roof. The gallery is single-sided, with a panelled front, and is mounted upon two cast-iron columns with foliage capitals. The organ recess has tall pointed arch with clustered shafts with folliage capitals and hood mould with foliage stops.The pews have panelled ends with painted numbers in quatrefoil panels. A white memorial tablet in the side wall commemorates congregants lost in the First World War.
Source: Cadw Listed Building Record