The name of the village, Llangurig, literally means ‘The church of St Curig’. Curig was a Celtic monk who founded a monastery on the site in the sixth century. Within a protective enclosure, his monks lived an austere life of worship, study and hard manual work. Llangurig was one of the most important monasteries in the area.
In the 12th century the Cistercian abbey of Strata Florida, 14 miles away, took over responsibility for St Curig’s, and this lasted until the Reformation in the 16th century.
The oldest part of the present church is its 14th century tower with its massively thick walls (now containing bells added in the 17th century). Much of the rest of the church dates from the 15th century. The building was reordered during the Reformation. It was reordered again during the 19th century, by Sir George Gilbert Scott and his assistant Arthur Baker. The wooden screen and stained glass in the church date from 1878.
In 1917 HRH Prince Albert, later King George VI, stayed at Llangurig. While there he worshipped in St Curig’s and his visit is commemorated by a brass plaque on the pew where he sat.
Country Churches and Schoolhouses