This working Foundry at Blists Hill Victorian Town casts iron most Wednesdays. It’s an amazing sight watching the red-hot metal being poured into the waiting sand moulds.
Blists Hill Victorian Town, originally called Blists Hill Open Air Museum, was opened in 1973, and has been slowly growing ever since. The museum’s buildings fall into one of three categories: buildings that were already part of the industrial site (e.g. the brickworks); buildings that simply represent a generic type (e.g. the sweet shop), some adaptively reusing existing premises on site.
By re-using existing buildings collections can be displayed more appropriately. The Foundry is a typical example of this. Originally the building was a drying shed for the Brickworks in about 1900. Foundry items from various sources have been brought together under its roof and today it produces a wide range of iron castings, just as a small jobbing foundry of 1900 would have done.
FUJI HS20, processed with PSP
WORKSHOP – THIS & THAT
Everything Old A New Treasure
A Dash of Colour