This builders’ merchants can be traced back to 1921, when brothers Joseph and William Humphries first traded in Oldbury, West Midlands.
The shop looks as it would have done in the late 1930s, when it was supplying a range of fireplaces, grates, W.C.s, sinks, paints, varnishes and wallpapers.
Take a look at the paint chart on the bottom shelf showing a range of just 14 colours. There were no Banana Blushes and Girly Pinks in those days.
Companion work to The Tobacconists
Open the Cupboard Door – Tools
LOW LIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY