An old building, part of a blast furnace complex, at Blists Hill Telford UK that appeared to have a horrified expression.
New Fuji Fine
Scary locations-MYSTERIES OF THE PAST AND PRESENT
INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS – AMAZING CHALLENGE ENTERTAINMENT
The Blists Hill blast furnaces replaced the riverside Bedlam furnaces – where Darby’s Iron Bridge was cast. The remains of the blast furnaces at Blists Hill represent the third generation of coke-fuelled iron smelting furnaces. They were built in the 1830s and 1840s, with blast provided by two steam engines that were housed in this building.
These furnaces were typical of many built during the first part of the nineteenth century throughout the West Midlands region.
Originally the Blists Hill furnaces stood 15m tall, and were charged with raw materials supplied by the canal. The furnaces were in use until 1912. Their closure was prompted by a strike, but their design had been superceded by the 1870s with the widespread introduction of hot blast furnaces three or four times the size. The furnace stacks were demolished almost immediately, but the engine houses, charging platforms and furnace bases survived to be restored by the Ironbridge Gorge Museum.