St Peter’s was built in 1837, with a chancel extension in the 1870s and it is an interesting example of the typical early Victorian “barn” churches. Both the church and the wall and ramp that lead up to it are listed buildings and form an important architectural focus in Church Bay.
St Peter’s has a carillion, a chime of ten bells in the key of A flat, specially commissioned to enable the well-known folk tune ‘The Bells of Aberdyfi’ to be played, as well as any other tunes and hymns. It was installed in September 1936. It is played by pushing down the levers, a bit like playing the xylophone and over the last year or two an enthusiastic band of ringers have taken turns in delighting the village.