Aberdovey is a small peaceful seaside village nestling on the north side of the Dyfi estuary. A popular resort for many years it has a thriving little harbour and sits within Snowdonia National Park, where the river Dyfi meets the blue waters of Cardigan Bay.
A jetty was built in 1887, with railway lines connecting it with the wharf and the main line. The Aberdyfi & Waterford Steamship Company imported livestock from Ireland which were then taken further by the railway. Coal, limestone and timber were also imported. The jetty and wharf continued in commercial use for coal until 1959. After prolonged negotiations, redevelopments from 1968–1971, including rebuilding the jetty, led to their present use mainly for recreational purposes. Some local fishing still occurs.