As soon as the canal was fit for cargo vessels a growing number of seamen & boatmen flocked to Gloucester. It was the days of missionary zeal and Rev. John Davies of Worcester had been taking the Gospel to people of the waterways throughout the region.
About 1831 a Mr. Campbell of Gloucester drew up a scheme to build a chapel for them.
Work began on the building designed by John Jaques in 1848 and was completed a year later. It was and remains a Church of England extra parochial chapel. It was dedicated for public worship on February 11th 1849. The chancel is at the west end instead of the normal east because of limited space available and the entrance of necessity being at the east door.
At this time the watermen were proverbially in a demoralised condition, familiarised with blasphemy and drunkenness, hardened by ostracism and rough living, living in heathen darkness.
Today it is a Grade II listed bulding.