The Lectern at Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucestershire, uk
The Abbey of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Tewkesbury in the English county of Gloucestershire is the second largest parish church in the country and a former Benedictine monastery.
The Chronicle of Tewkesbury records that the first Christian worship was brought to the area by Theoc, a missionary from Northumbria, who built his cell in the mid-7th century near a gravel spit where the Severn and Avon rivers join together. The cell was succeeded by a monastery in 715
Building of the present Abbey church did not start until 1102, employing Caen stone imported from Normandy and floated up the Severn.
Permision to photograph was granted on the condition that pictures were not offered for sale
Christian Churches, Statues & Crosses