The “British” War Grave is easily recognisable today because of its distinctive headstone. The original grave-marker, though, was a simple wooden cross with a painted inscription.
The wooden crosses remained the only markers until the Imperial War Graves Commission began the job of making the cemeteries permanent after the war. This work was not completed until the 1930s and even today, bodies are still recovered from the battlefields and transferred to cemeteries, one cemetery being kept “open” to receive them.
Some of the original crosses have, somehow, survived to the present day. Instead of being thrown away when permanent headstones replaced them, and were brought home to the UK
This cross is the original grave marker for Gunner W Roberts killed at Ypres in 1918 and can be now be found in Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucestershire, UK
Permision to photograph was granted on the condition that pictures were not offered for sale