The village where this church stands is Llanymynech which is Welsh for “Church of the Monks”.
The present church is thought to be the third on the site. The first church was probably built of wood, and consequently there are no remains. The second was built in 1272 to 1307, of stone. It was a double building with at the west end a turret with two bells. There were three entrances, two on the south side and the third on the north side.
By the 1840s the church was in a poor state of repair. It was demolished in 1843 and on Ascension Day, 25 May 1843 the foundation stone of the present church was laid by Lord Dungannon. The site of the foundation stone is not known, though it is probably under the floor by the altar.
The church is built in the Normanesque style. It is constructed of local limestone, apart from the arches and ornamental portions, which are terracotta, possibly fired at Morda. The cost of the new church was £2000, most of which was raised by private subscriptions.
The clock was made and given to the Parish of Llanymynech by Richard Roberts in 1844. A condition of his giving the clock was that one face should be visible from the quarry where he had worked, so that quarrymen should know the time.
CHALLENGE WINNER (one of four in a tie)
The English Church ‘The Blunt End’ Challenge