Detail of a very unusual window, made in 1896 by T.F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes, named ‘The Good Wife’.
It is in the west end of the south aisle in The Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire,Wales
The window is dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Ellinor Harriet Williams born May 3, 1864 died April 30, 1894. It is believed that this is a portrait image of one of her children
St Margaret’s Church, commonly known as the Marble Church, was built from 1856 to 1860. The church tower, 62 metres high, is a landmark visible from miles around and from vehicles passing on the A55 Expressway.
The church was commissioned by Margaret, daughter of Sir John Williams of Bodelwyddan Castle. She had married a Warwickshire baron but returned to her home area after his death in 1852. The Bishop of St Asaph, Dr Vowler Short, agreed to her request that Bodelwyddan be made a separate parish and given its own parish church. The church is dedicated to two saints: St Margaret of Antioch and St Kentigern.
The church was designed by John Gibson. He had studied with Sir Charles Barry, who rebuilt the Houses of Parliament after a fire in 1834 and whose architectural style was highly decorative. This influence is to be seen in the ornate Gothic carvings which decorate the Marble Church’s exterior. The interior features several kinds of marble, from Ireland, England, France and Italy.