An old advertising sign spotted at Blists Hill Victorian Town in Shropshire, UK.
Enamel advertising signs were first manufactured in Birmingham UK in the 1880s, quickly becoming the principal advertising medium of the Victorian / Edwardian era. By 1900 every shopping street in Britain were displaying the signs. Eventually millions of enamel signs were manufactured for display on shop fronts all over the world, yet by the 1970s virtually all of them had been scrapped, their usefulness having been overwhelmed by more modern forms of advertising such as multiple sheet paper hoardings and by television advertising. They remained in situ for many years but today few can be seen in their original places. Many are now in museums and on old steam railway platforms.
RUSTED SIGNS – WITHERED